Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 08-25-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Does the Nokia 770 have sex appeal?

It's safe to assume that the Nokia 770 is one of the most anticipated handheld devices of this year. The question is, does it have the potential to replace regular PDAs to become the new e-book hardware reader of our choice? Can it even replace the notebook for wireless Web surfing? Al of the 770 Fan blog wonders too why so many of us enjoy reading up on this device. Yes, why do we?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I think people like the idea of a dedicated internet device, with a fairly high-resolution screen (800x480, is it?). Personally I want to see if I can get myself one of these... I don't know how much it'd cost (anyone know, or have an idea?), but it could be worth it, if the battery life's good enough (Nokia says 3 hours of internet browsing on the normal battery - but manufacturer times are often off by a little, at least). About 70% of what I use the computer for is covered by the Nokia 770 - e-mail, web, RSS - the other 30% is coding, IRC, and IM (and for coding, I tend to sit down for a while - not just code in sporadic bursts every few minutes :P).

And considering it runs Linux (if memory serves, it has a GTK+-based interface?), it probably won't be too long before someone ports an IRC client (X-Chat, perhaps - or even just a nice console client like irssi), and an IM client (GAIM, maybe).
Old 08-25-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N810
That's easy. Because we can feel in our bones that this is the one.

-- Roger
Old 08-26-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Looks like dedicated internet tablet is in...the PSP just added that functionality...

But I still like the 770 more, just wished it has more memory built-in and PDA functionality from, the get-go... Is it possible to put this device to 'sleep mode' so that way, it will be possible to write software like appointments that will sound when it is triggered...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Alslayer
Alslayer began at the beginning.

Cool I have a link from Mobileread. Now I feel like a real blogger. I like the title of your article better.

I think the device is going to be around $350. I do believe this device has sex appeal. I wonder if that is why I got a Tapwave Zodiac also.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
rsperberg
Zealot
rsperberg began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N810
Instant on

I've been thinking about this.

I think Russell Beattie's experience with the web-browsing software in the PSP is significant. He said the instant on made the difference. Light weight necessary, WiFi and the web required, but it was the combination of all of these that changed things for him, to where he found 70 percent of his PSP experience was surfing, in all kinds of quick, casual circumstances.

I think the 770's screen will make that experience even more noticeable for its purchasers.

Is that what makes it sexy? Or is it being able to see that that's what's coming, and knowing this change is coming on us, before anyone else?

-- Roger Sperberg