Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 07-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
In-flight WiFi = major security risk?

It seems that the Department of Homeland Security found a new potential source of terrorist activities: airborne broadband Internet, which is slowly emerging thanks to Boeing's Connexion service. Wired writes: Federal law enforcement officials, fearful that terrorists will exploit emerging in-flight broadband services to remotely activate bombs or coordinate hijackings, are asking regulators for the power to begin eavesdropping on any passenger's internet use within 10 minutes of obtaining court authorization.

Of course modern terrorists are either afraid of crypto or simply don't know how to secure their Internet connections.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
lindseydyson
Deputy Editor Palm Addict
lindseydyson doesn't litterlindseydyson doesn't litter

Device: Palm Addict
I was lookingt forward to WiFi on my travels and I hope this theory does not put a stop to it. Just awaiting British Airways to pick up on it.

Lindsey Dyson
Deputy Editor PalmAddict
Personal Assistant to Sammual McLoughlin
Welcoming over 40,000 visitors a day to Palm Addict
Old 07-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
I don't think the US government would want to stop in-flight WiFi, simply because it would hurt Boeing (who put a lot of money into its Connexion program) and Boeing is one of the government's darlings.

But what could happen is that feds will log all traffic connections. Not that this seems very useful to me, since, as I mentioned with some sarcasm, it wouldn't stop people from using secure Internet connections (e.g. through a SSH2 tunnel) which seem very unlikely to be sniffed.