Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 04-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
The Future of the Dell Axim

According to this article on Brighthand, Dell has several plans for the Axim over the next two years.

First, no more X30. According to the article, it will be discontinued in the next few months. Second, the X50 supposedly will be getting an upgrade later in the year, most likely involving WM2005. Third, in the middle of 2006, Dell will supposedly be replacing the X50 with a smartphone.

Quote:
In mid-2006, Dell intends to introduce its first cellular-wireless handheld.

This model will be targeted at business users, and Dell will emphasize its communications and productivity features.

This device will replace the Axim X50 series.

Nothing else about this handheld is known at this time, including what it will be called.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Second, the X50 supposedly will be getting an upgrade later in the year, most likely involving WM2005.
WM2005... now that would be fantastic! Thanks for the heads-up, Chaos.

Enthusiast
Old 04-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air
Yea, the first step of a WinMobile 2005 device is great. But the part about replaceing the line with a smartphone is not so exciting. I was hoping to jump to the Dell line when they had WM2005, but this kind of makes me think twice.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:08 AM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note, Nexus7
They better keep the VGA screen as well, or I won't be looking at one...

Craig.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air
No Smartphones for Dell

Sammy has a nice update on this in a Palm Addict post about an eWeek article. Seems that Dell is going to stay in wireless market, but no smartphone replacement of any Dell PDA line. Make me more interested in Dell pdas again. Especially with the news of a free WinMobile5 upgrade.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
I'm curious to see if HP will follow Dell on the Free WinMobile5x upgrade being free. Everything I'm hearing so far indicates that they will charge for it (I just recently, ... oh, about three weeks ago, purchased an HP IPaq hx2755 handheld. It is definitely a culture shock coming from a a PalmOne T|T3.)

In any case, Dell was definitely on my list of comparisons when I was out a bit back to purchase a handheld. The x50v specifically. Seems that Windows Mobile keeps improving, which frankly, is what Microsoft needs to do in order to stay in the market. I just wish that the hardware was more even across both platforms (Palmone and PPC). That way people could more easily decide what they want by software alone, instead of hardware. /sigh/ It won't ever happen though.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekweb
I'm curious to see if HP will follow Dell on the Free WinMobile5x upgrade being free.
HP will definitely offer upgrades, but no word yet whether they will be free or not. Same for Dell though. I don't recall any official statement that the upgrade would be free (and I kinda doubt it).