Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Question Ebook Reading with WAP

While doing some WAP web browsing on my Samsung camera phone (not the one in the picture) I noticed that I have a halfway decent screen. It shows about a dozen short lines of text or more.

I couldn't help but wonder what sorts of mobile reading I could do on it beyond simple WAP browsing.

So now turning to our vast and highly resourcefull readers, I'm asking if anyone has found a way to successfully do either of the following:
  1. Do ebook reading from a standard cell phone
    I guess this means creating a personal WAP web site interface to your ebook text, and an option to go forward or backward one screen, plus probably bookmarks to keep your place.

2. View text of standard mobile-friendly sites via WAP access
    This one seems to require the same approach, but with some heavy duty coding behind the scenes to manage the output for the tiny display.
If you have done either of these, or have an idea how to do it, please post a reply with some details.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
YesWAP
Nameless Being

Cool Ebook Reading with WAP

Point your wap browser at:
http://winksite.com/books/cc
and you will be able to read several Creative Commons ebooks.

Russ Beattie (www.russellbeattie.com) had a site up with hundreds of Gutenberg project ebooks readable by wap2 (xhtml) but he took it down because it wasn't getting enough hits to justify maintaining it. It was based on some code he wrote, maybe he will be willing to share the code.

As for viewing what you call "standard mobile-friendly sites", - most modern wap2 phones should be able to view them out of the box. Older wml only phones will require use of a proxy that converts html to wml. Some carriers (Nextel in the US, for example) have a proxy built into there wap gateway which does this transparently, although not very reliably (many sites error out). Google has a free html to wml proxy at http://www.google.com/wml?hl=en&wmlmode=url and my own wap site, http://yeswap.com is a directory of 350+ wap and mobile-friendly web links which invokes it's own html to wml proxy when it detects that you are following a link to an html site with a wml -only device.
Advert
Old 04-21-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks!... That's great stuff, YesWAP.
Kind of leaves me with that question -- "Who was that masked man!?"

Your own portal site is excellent. Well, except for what appears to be an accidental omission - I didn't see MobileRead there!

I'm anxious to give it all a try from my phone now.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
YesWAP
YesWAP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Clie SJ30
Smile Ebook Reading with WAP

Thanks, BobR, for the compliment on my portal.

The mobileread blog has been on my portal for a while now under Technology/Mobile Phones/MobileTech/Mobile Blogs which uses http://winksite.com as it's rss agregator.

Today, I added the mobile edition of the mobileread forums under Technology|PDA. Because the forums require a login, my html2wml proxy, which doesn't yet support forms or cookies, can't convert the forum site so you may not be able see it on your phone.

You might consider allowing read-only access to the mobile forums for unregistered users like you do on the main site. I think that you are losing the majority of mobile users who causually discover your mobile forum site while browsing on their phone or PDA only to find they can't enter the site. Many more of these users would be motivated to register if only they could have had a taste of how great the mobile site is.
YesWAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Totally agreed. The mobile version of MobileRead needs some serious improvements. It's on top of our list of to-do's!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert