Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-21-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Daily Gadget Hacked

A very nice site that many of you are certainly familiar with is Daily Gadget. Unfortunately, they were hacked last nite and have shared the news with Sammy at Palm Addict to apologize for emails sent out by the hackers without their approval. Hopefully that didn't affect too many of us.

From the Palm Addict post...
Quote:
From Alan at Daily Gadget, "Sammy, I woke up this morning to find that someone had hacked the Daily Gadget site. Among a few other things they did, they sent out several emails to members that were rather unpleasant. Could you let your readers know that I deeply apologize for this, and that we're working on getting things back up to shape?"
- Sammy (Manchester, UK)
Best wishes to Alan. Glad to see you're back up and working again at the site.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
That stinks. Does he know how hackers were able to exploit his system?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Haven't checked for more info on this one. But I'm finding that PDA24/7 (both the Palm site and the PPC site) seem to be down today also. I know they had some server problems recently. Hopefully it didn't give out on them completely. Anyone know more about that one?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
A hacker targetting PDA sites? Maybe its time to check mobileread's security and backup settings...
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I thought they had recovered from the hack, but Daily Gadget seems inaccessible again.

Found this link via PalmAddicts to keep you informed on the status quo of DG:
http://dailygadget.blogspot.com/

Edit: Scrolling down a bit further on PA revealed the following message:

This from Alan at the Daily Gadget today "Sammy, it seems that not only our site was hacked, it was our host as well. They've taken down operations on our server to fix somethings, which means we're going to be down a bit longer than we first thought. We do have FULL BACKUPS of everything, however, so we won't be "starting from scratch" once we get back up and running. Anyway, could you please let your readers know that I am terribly sorry about all of this? I've just felt sick over the entire thing. When a hacker attacks the site, he attacks more than just a collection of gadget posts and reviews, he attacks a community...he attacks all of us. I'm sorry the community has to go through this. Thanks for your assistance."
- Sammy (Manchester, UK)
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguru
A hacker targetting PDA sites? Maybe its time to check mobileread's security and backup settings...
Thanks for reminding me. Although I try to be up-to-date with security fixes, I think I should double-check now.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote