Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 04-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Nokia 9500 Communicator long-term review

If you want to take a break from Palm and Pocket PC, I recommend you to read this review of the Nokia 9500 Communicator. 3-Lib concludes:

The 9500 won't appeal to the typical smartphone user, it's true. It's too big and there's simply too much here to confuse the novice. For them, there are a wealth of Series 60 smartphones, some now with stereo audio and matching Bluetooth qwerty keyboard. But for the ex-Psioneer, for the professional on the move, for the OPL hobbyist, and indeed anyone else who fancies a real keyboard and serious applications, this is the consummate communicator.

I still haven't had the time to fully explore my Nokia 9500, but at least I did manage to fill it with all my contacts and datebook notes.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Here is another review, perhaps slightly less biased The conclusion is so-so:

Chock full of promising concepts, the Nokia 9500 Communicator almost invariably fails in execution. A fantabulous display is hampered by poorly utilized screen estate; the first-class thumbboard by an ergonomic oversight; applications in general and the powerful browser in particular by sluggish performance; and PIM and e-mail synchronization by slow and poorly implemented local support as well as a complete lack of groupware support. Superb connectivity doesn't do much good when its full potential cannot be exploited, but for those whose needs fall within its stark boundaries, the 9500 will deliver the goods.
Advert
Old 05-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just saw a TV ad from Nokia. I was amazed because it was for one of those clamshell communicator "bricks", and they seemed to really play up the full PDA in it. (Lacking compared to Palm or PPC I bet.) In fact they also made a big point of saying that it could sync to your desktop PC. Can't remember the model, but I think the number was something like 7700, and the ad was really slick.

So I wonder... which comes first? People discovering that it's weak as a PDA, or Nokia making it into a real PDA?