Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
A Nokia 9500 Communicator is now mine

Thanks to my father who bought the wrong mobile device (he figured he needs something more handy), I am now the proud owner of a Nokia 9500 Communicator. I will keep you posted of my experience with it. Some specs that make this one interesting:

- Integrated WLAN 802.11b and EGPRS (EDGE) for fast data transfer
- Bluetooth wireless technology
- Full keyboard and two color displays
- Office Tools: Document, Sheet, Presentation editor and viewer*, Web browser and email with attachments
- Organizer: contacts, calendar and to-do list with PC
- Large memory: 80 MB internally and MultiMediaCard (MMC) support
- Integrated camera (VGA) with video capability
- Tri-band operation for use on five continents
Old 03-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Ummm...can your dad "accidentally" buy me the new T|6?

I've always liked the Nokia Communicators. The form factor just works for me. No, it's not small and sexy as a phone like my T637, but as a PDA with the keyboard and the dual wireless is the perfect solution to the business individual.

Back when TechTV was around, I did some location taping at the Metreon and I asked Adam Sessler about his Nokia Communicator (the 9200, I think) and he said he loved it, but that it was too expensive for him to carry around all the time (they were loaners.)

If I weren't so committed to the Palm OS (and the Mac OS), then I'd be more exploratory in some of these other PDA OSes and products.
POL9A

Advertisement
Old 03-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The best about it is that it has WiFi too. I love WiFi, everything around me at work or at home is WiFi connected. Right now I am transferring all my phone data from my old phone that didn't fit on the smartcard anymore.

I think the big keyboard can be a big plus. Web browsing didn't work so great, it took the Communicator forever to load Mobileread's frontpage (which I admit is very mobile-unfriendly, but it was just a test). So I think I have to stick to mobile-friendly pages here. E-Mail works great too. The next thing I have to do is to run to a Nokia store and get a firmware upgrade (4.40 is mine, 4.51 is apparently the latest).
Old 03-22-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Btw, does anyone know good Symbian web resources?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
divajess
Connoisseur
divajess is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 1910, Dell X30H
Ooooh I am so jealous! I really want a sweet phone with Bluetooth, but I had to settle for the nicest cheap phone I could get T-Mobile to cough up. :roll: