Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 02-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air, iPad Air
Palm May Bundle WiFi Cards With Some PDAs

Rumor has it that PalmOne will be bundling WiFi Cards with the Zire 72 and Tungsten T5 PDAs. That's about a $130 value, but more importantly it would demonstrate PalmOne is realizing the importance of WiFi capability.

The rumor has popped up on several sites already...
http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...ifi_sd_ca.html
http://www.brighthand.com/article/pa..._Wi-Fi_SD_Card
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000333033018/
Old 02-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note, Nexus7
You could almost construe this as an admission that PalmOne dropped the ball when they left wifi out of the T5. It might make a big difference to sales though, and that's what matters at this point (I know I succumbed to the dark side long ago, but I don't want to see PalmOne go the way of Sony)

Craig.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Do you remember Ed Colligan's words on WiFi? -- "Yes; WiFi is important, but our focus is on the WAN in the Enterprise, and the T5 reflects what that market is demanding from us, in terms of a solution. You know that we do have a WiFi device: the Tungsten C?" Cough.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
You could almost construe this as an admission that PalmOne dropped the ball when they left wifi out of the T5. It might make a big difference to sales though, and that's what matters at this point (I know I succumbed to the dark side long ago, but I don't want to see PalmOne go the way of Sony)

Craig.
I agree that PalmOne had underestimated the want for Wi-Fi in more devices than their weird T|C, but Sony? Do you really think that PalmOne will release a new model every two weeks? I wish they would, then maybe something from that company would appeal to me.
POL9A
Old 02-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
@POL9A...what are you talking about? Every two weeks??? I think that palm one has to release an upgrade to their t5 with built in wifi. The card is appealing but I need my slot free for more memory. I also think that the extra antenna part sticking out on the wifi card can damage the slot. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Yes, I was exaggerating. I'll settle for every quarter. I agree, however, that the antenna part of the Wi-Fi card is unattractive from the snap-off-too-easily and hard-to-store-in-conventional-SD-card-protectors and may-cause-damage-to-the-SD-port standpoints.
POL9A
Old 02-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
I agree that PalmOne had underestimated the want for Wi-Fi in more devices than their weird T|C, but Sony? Do you really think that PalmOne will release a new model every two weeks? I wish they would, then maybe something from that company would appeal to me.
POL9A
Actually, I was referring to Sony not releasing _any_ Clies....

Craig.