|02-01-2005, 11:53 AM||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2004
Device: TT5, Treo600, TT3, TC ...
Chat with the Director of pa1mOne Mexico
ScoutBuck posted the following interesting interview chat with palmOne Mexico. I only did a few lingual corrections, and I hope I didn't change the meaning of the content in any way (if I did, please excuse me!). -- Alex
PDAMexico.net had a two hours chat with palmOne México director, Miguel Hernández.
Main points of the chat session:
- Treo 650 GSM in Mexico and Latin America available in April'05.
- Production stop of Tungsten T3.
- Tungsten C still in production.
- Predicts long life for Palm OS products.
- PalmOne Mexico promotes Palm OS at Universities and other educational institutions (the UNAM, the UAM, the ITESM, the UNITE).
- Palm OS Cobalt stills being tested; some PIM applications had to be rewritten.
- PalmOne Mexico is planning to actively support and promote HispaPUG México (Mexican Palm User Group, part of HispaPUG).
- Road-map of palmOne it confidential, but open for suggestions.
- In future, expect (more/all?) palmOne products to integrat WiFi.
- "Our business is mobility".
- The PDA business has to remain profitable; the strategy of market purchase is not sustainable in the long term. We have seen many players like Sony, Toshiba, Casio, Phillips, etc., to leave the market when they haven't even been able to position themselves after spending a lot of money (lost the profitability of the business). palmOne, on the other hand, has shown a solid structure regarding its global finances; already today we have products that start at 1300 pesos (as the Z21), offering functionality at more accessible prices.
- Since technologies matured and the costs are stabilized, we can offer more advanced products at better prices.
- palmOne is an extremely versatile and adaptive company; we are adapting to a more aggressive player in a competitive environment.
- The apps development belongs 100% to PalmSource; although we are also in the process of making alliances for the localized apps development. For this purpose, we maintain a database of about 3000 developers in Mexico, with a briefcase of the main 50 companies we are in contact with.
- We (palmOne Mexico) recognize the tremendous work and the effort of the whole group (HispaPUG?), we know that what you have done during this time plays an important role in reaching one of our most important goals: to create a culture of mobile computation in our country and in our region, Latin America. Really, many thanks to all, in particular to Abe, Ricardo, Samuel, for their support.
- For those working with palmOne Mexico, it gives us pride and an enormous satisfaction to see the large group of users so advanced, enthusiastic and passionate as all of you are...
Read the full chat at PDAMexico.
|02-02-2005, 11:49 AM||#2|
Join Date: Oct 2002
Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Edited and moved to the frontpage. Thank you ScoutBuck!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Fantasy question: your director of choice...||J. Dean||Writers' Corner||8||05-06-2010 06:26 PM|
|iPad Director Jon Landau on the iPad||kjk||Apple Devices||1||02-16-2010 03:46 PM|
|Author's Guild Executive Director Interview||legaleagll||News||36||03-01-2009 03:22 PM|
|Pa1mOne||sUnShInE||Lounge||1||08-18-2003 11:34 AM|