Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 01-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Dell Axim X50(v) A02 ROM update

Dell has finally decided to release a system update for its Axim X50(v) PDAs. The 22-24MB big A02 English ROM image (X50v download, X50 download) includes various fixes and enhancements:

1. Improved SD and CF read performance.
2. Updated wireless button usage scenario to avoid enabling / disabling wireless accidentally.
3. Allow the WLAN auto power-off feature to be enabled and/or disabled in the WLAN utility.
4. Added feature in the power applet to change the color of the battery power bar to reflect the battery capacity.
5. Associated the .dbk files with the Data Backup program.
6. Improved GAPI performance.
7. Improved touch panel performance and sensitivity.
8. Enhanced the video driver to be more robust.

Don't we love it when companies actively support existing products? Two thumbs up, Dell!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
JoshB
JoshB began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim x50v
I've downloaded and tried out the update, and everything went fine.

You can read my impressions at:

http://www.tinyscreenfuls.com/2005/0...available.html

I'll update that post with any issues or problems I run into, but so far, so good! :-)

Josh Bancroft
www.tinyscreenfuls.com

Advertisement
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Thanks for the news, Josh!

I forgot my cradle at work, which is why I won't be able to run the update before Wednesday next week ;(
Old 01-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Liqiud
Infinite Oblivion
Liqiud began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie PEG-UX50
I need to get a dell.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I have to say, the Dell line of PDAs are the ugliest-looking devices I've seen in a very long time. It looks like they cleavered the top right off, where the silver part doesn't continue all the way around. It just looks clunky.

That, and a good 15% of the top part of the PDA is a 1" banner + power button LED, taking up space that should have been reclaimed to make it smaller, or make the screen area larger.

Ugly ugly ugly.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I plain old dislike Dell and Microsoft... Although I guess supporting a product is, in general, a good thing...

Why Dell? Well, I've had bad experiences with Dell machines. They make pretty awful laptops in my experiences.

Why Microsoft? Big, evil monopoly. And their software is of general low quality compared to most others.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
cheshire
Fence Sitter
cheshire began at the beginning.

Device: Asus P525
Well, at least Dell is doing something.

Being a previous owner of HP PDAs and current owner of an O2 Mini, I can't say I am seeing this level of post-sales customer care.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Skibum
Enthusiast
Skibum began at the beginning.

Device: X50V
Anyone find that their unit seems a bit snappier after the update? Seems that way to me...
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is definitely snapper, thanks to an improvement in auto-adjusting the CPU speed.

I just upgraded myself and let me tell you, WHAT A PAIN! Dell recommends to install everything new, and I don't even remember how many countless hours it took me to install and configure every piece of software that I use. Something to look forward this weekend... ;(
Old 02-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #10
Skibum
Enthusiast

Ahhh... but the end is worth the means.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:19 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Yep! I just finished upgrading and reinstalling everything. Sprite Backup to the rescue!

My Dell definitely seems to be more responsive after upgrading the unit. Unfortunately, the annoying "unrecognized wireless device " problem still exists
Old 02-06-2005, 08:45 AM   #12
Skibum
Enthusiast

When are you getting that message?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Unfortunately it is random. Usually it I turn off the device while WiFi was activated. Then, when I turn it on again, sometimes a message box pops up with this message. Afterwards, WiFi doesn't work unless I do a soft reset. Over at Aximsite a couple of people have been experiencing the same problem, but noone came up with a solution yet. Sounds to me like a driver bug.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #14
Skibum
Enthusiast

I haven't seen this at all with my Axim, and I turn the unit off with WiFi activated all the time....
Old 02-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

It is really random here. See this thread for more.