Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #31
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The Kobo office is local to me and I write for Teleread, so I have requested a review unit and will probably get one first week of October. I'll let you all know!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #32
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
The Kobo office is local to me and I write for Teleread, so I have requested a review unit and will probably get one first week of October. I'll let you all know!

I'm really curious to know how the wi-fi works. I love that it comes with a dictionary (I never realized how much I need one until I started reading so many books). Hopefully it will become my second reader.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Priced like a Kindle, but with worse specs. Are they serious? This thing should be priced at $99.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #34
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I think it's very likely that the WiFi enabled Kobo will use almost identical firmware, there are 2 hardware differences, a more powerful processor and switching bluetooth or Wifi (at least their comparison makes it seem like WiFi has replaced Bluetooth). The processor may require differences in the firmware if it's a new processor instead of just a speed bump (a new processor may also still be compatible with the same software). With regards to the Bluetooth and WiFi modules it is a simple matter of only loading those modules if the hardware is available so the firmware could work exactly the same.

Anyway from a user interface perspective I would think there is a very very high probability the code would be shared so things like page jumping and more display options (margins) could easily be shared between the two devices.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #35
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Honestly, I don't know what Kobo is thinking releasing this new reader. They can't get the first gen to work properly. There are STILL units breaking down. We've had no firm answer on when the next firmware release will happen for the 1st Kobo. And after so many people complaining about the placement of the d-pad, they still left it on the right side. I personally don't find it bothersome being a lefty, but there are quite a few out there that do have problems with it.

They should also have been clear on the use of wi-fi. What can I do with it exactly?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kobo, and I've had very few problems with it. But I was hoping that their wi-fi model would at least be able to compete with the K3. Right now, IMO, the only reason I would upgrade would be because it's Canadian and it has Epub support. I was really hoping to get an ereader with a dictionary.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #36
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Really busy, but some quick points.

1. Dictionary works when you're in the reading view. Menu > Dictionary > You get a cursor, you move the cursor to the word you want > Press centre dpad > definition comes up.

2. Any typing is done through a virtual onscreen keyboard that needs to be navigated using the Dpad. It's actually relatively easy despite how it sounds, and you only have to use it a few times.

Will try and come back as time allows...
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #37
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I think -- from the press release and website -- the Kobo wifi is the right step forward and can be recommended.

Kobo wifi - direct download to device of books bought; access to your library; syncing to bookmarks of your account with other devices (read on Blackberry, pick-up where you left off on the Kobo wifi); inline dictionary; onscreen keyboard for wifi access (passwords); a sharper screen; ePub access; library book access; expandable storage via SD card; kobobooks bookstore with localised content; fits into a family of devices including colour e-reader Literati, Blackberry app, Playbook, iPhone app, iPad, Android app, Samsung Tab, PC and Mac. All for $139.

Kindle 3 wifi - great bookstore, user experience in Amazon; Pearl screen; more developed social networking; web browser; text-to-speech; multi-platform use; direct download of books bought. All for $139.

Kindle 3 is arguably a superior device: but it still lacks ePub support, library support, access to books not in Kindle format. If that matters -- and it down to some people, Kobo wifi brings lots to the table.

Nook offers wifi and a web browser and ePub support; but then it is only sold in the US. All for $139.

Sony does not believe in connected devices; its PRS-950 will be sold only in the US and at $299. It's competitive 6" model is $249 in Canada and offers a touch screen ... for $100 more.

Kobo wifi has taken steps in the right direction -- as they have the multitude of product enhancements in the past month. This is a credible alternative and sets up the Q4 selling season quite well. Let's hope they can handle the volume -- it's a bad time of year to run out of stock!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #38
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I think -- from the press release and website -- the Kobo wifi is the right step forward and can be recommended.

Kobo wifi - direct download to device of books bought; access to your library; syncing to bookmarks of your account with other devices (read on Blackberry, pick-up where you left off on the Kobo wifi); inline dictionary; onscreen keyboard for wifi access (passwords); a sharper screen; ePub access; library book access; expandable storage via SD card; kobobooks bookstore with localised content; fits into a family of devices including colour e-reader Literati, Blackberry app, Playbook, iPhone app, iPad, Android app, Samsung Tab, PC and Mac. All for $139.

Kobo wifi has taken steps in the right direction -- as they have the multitude of product enhancements in the past month. This is a credible alternative and sets up the Q4 selling season quite well. Let's hope they can handle the volume -- it's a bad time of year to run out of stock!
You mean the kobo will be 149$? right? or is 139 the US pricing?

Thanks...

Fiona
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #39
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
2. Any typing is done through a virtual onscreen keyboard that needs to be navigated using the Dpad. It's actually relatively easy despite how it sounds, and you only have to use it a few times.
... seriously?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #40
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
... seriously?
Well it sounds quite workable. other than a touch screen with virtual keyboard or a QWERTY keyboard ala Kindle, it is probably the best way to go. The other alternatives would bring the costs up.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #41
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
You mean the kobo will be 149$? right? or is 139 the US pricing?
Chapters and koboreader.com are advertising CDN $149. Borders is advertising US $139.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #42
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Chapters and koboreader.com are advertising CDN $149. Borders is advertising US $139.

Thanks I was starting to think that maybe I was missing on a deal somewhere
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #43
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
... seriously?
My AppleTV uses something similar for entering the wpa key (it is wpa right?) and it is fairly workable. I really don't see myself using the dictionary much ...

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #44
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
My AppleTV uses something similar for entering the wpa key (it is wpa right?) and it is fairly workable. I really don't see myself using the dictionary much ...

Tim
Yes, it will support WPA.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #45
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Be interesting to see the price in Australia. The Ko1 retails here now for AU$179
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote