Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
enigma2k
enigma2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Fetch Annotations does not work with K3

I have tried "fetch annotations" with my K3 but I can only see the notes I have written myself but not the text I have highlighted.
Is there any workaround to this?
enigma2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You've already created a ticket http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/6913, I will take a look when I can get to it.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
enigma2k

I have found something what may be the cause why it is not working:
Quote:
WARNING:
last Kindles (probably anyone updated, but confirmed with "Kindle DX") seem to store notes in a way that mbp_reader cannot deal with. I'm working in this issue, but it's a hard one, so I can't promise a solution.
Symptoms of this issue: when you run the program, the text file reports the number of notes, but nothing more, except the text you've written, if any. But no trace of ebook highlighted text.
Well, technically, it seems that new Kindle only stores a "pointer" to the text on the original book, instead of the highlighted text itself, as previous versions did
it is from: http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/mbp_reader.html
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
I have found something what may be the cause why it is not working:

it is from: http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/mbp_reader.html
I hope you put this info in the ticket too, where it belongs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
enigma2k

thank you for remembering - I have just added it
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
@enigma2k: Thanks for chasing down the information about the firmware changes.

As you discovered, the problem is that the highlighted passages are no longer stored in plaintext format. This means that the 'Fetch Annotations' feature as currently implemented does not support fetching highlights from newer/updated Kindles, only typed annotations.

It is conceivable that a patch could be implemented that would parse the stored pointers, open the MOBI file, extract the referenced passage, and add it to the user's annotations. Motivated users are invited to submit such a patch.

I will leave the ticket open to collect any further developments on this enhancement request.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote