Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
RPribyl
Loving the K3!
RPribyl began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 36
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Device: Kindle 3G
Sell my Nook for the Kindle 3g?

OK first what I don't like about my nook:
Slow to turn pages
Battery life
If the battery gets too low, it's a complicated process to get it back on
Seems there could be more done with it

Things I enjoy:
I like the ability to go to B&N for the special offers but I don't really do it that often so I could live without it.
It seems to accept calibre conversions very well (formatting is much better than my Sony used to be)

The reasons I want a Kindle 3G:
The Kindle seems to be a better device (I've never used one but I'm going from what I've read)
Quicker page turning

Questions:
Does the Kindle accept Calibre conversions well?
Does the battery life really excel over the nook?
Thanks
RPribyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Posts: 98
Karma: 5026
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPribyl View Post
OK first what I don't like about my
Questions:
Does the Kindle accept Calibre conversions well?
Does the battery life really excel over the nook?
Thanks
Yes, I've not had any problems converting between ePub and mobi with calibre and the books I've converted look the same.

And, yes. there's just no comparison with battery life. Even after using the lighted cover quite often, I still have 80% of my 2nd charge left - since August 27th!
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
soondai's Avatar
 
Posts: 623
Karma: 1109784
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Nook, Paperwhite 1, iPad4
RP-- go check one out hands on at Target. I did so last night, and did suffer a few envy pangs. The Pearl hype is less hype than I suspected.

Looked pretty great. $139 (or 189) great? Not for someone on a budget like me, but I was very impressed.

Can't wait to see what readers will be like in a couple years when I need to upgrade.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,452
Karma: 1550000
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Yes, I've not had any problems converting between ePub and mobi with calibre and the books I've converted look the same.

And, yes. there's just no comparison with battery life. Even after using the lighted cover quite often, I still have 80% of my 2nd charge left - since August 27th!
I would agree that the battery life is the single biggest problem with the Nook. Virtually every other eInk based ebook reader can go anywhere from a week to a month on a single battery charge (based on how much it is being used, battery capacity, firmware etc... but under any circumstances, most will go at least 1 week between charges). The Nook on the other hand is lucky to give you 4 days... 5 or 6 if you don't use it that much .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
desertgrandma's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,277
Karma: 8334629
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
For goodness sakes.

Buy the Kindle, put it thru its paces for 30 days, and if you don't absolutely love it, return it to Amazon for just shipping.......around $8.

Thats the only way you'll know for sure if its for you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 812
Karma: 1336884
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPribyl View Post
OK first what I don't like about my nook:
Slow to turn pages
Battery life
If the battery gets too low, it's a complicated process to get it back on
Seems there could be more done with it

Things I enjoy:
I like the ability to go to B&N for the special offers but I don't really do it that often so I could live without it.
It seems to accept calibre conversions very well (formatting is much better than my Sony used to be)

The reasons I want a Kindle 3G:
The Kindle seems to be a better device (I've never used one but I'm going from what I've read)
Quicker page turning

Questions:
Does the Kindle accept Calibre conversions well?
Does the battery life really excel over the nook?
Thanks
Remember that all the books you have bought from B&N are DRM protected. If you want to convert those books to Mobipocket to read them on the Kindle you will have to remove the DRM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,391
Karma: 1001781
Join Date: May 2010
Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I would agree that the battery life is the single biggest problem with the Nook. Virtually every other eInk based ebook reader can go anywhere from a week to a month on a single battery charge (based on how much it is being used, battery capacity, firmware etc... but under any circumstances, most will go at least 1 week between charges). The Nook on the other hand is lucky to give you 4 days... 5 or 6 if you don't use it that much .

--
Bill

the horror and the agony

so when it's time to charge a kindle after a week the actually time you are charging it is extremely painful and the worst day of your life

seriously having to charge a device after 5 days is something of a challenging chore?

Okie dokie

I'll take the trade off to have the LCD color touch screen any day.

different strokes I guess
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,452
Karma: 1550000
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post



the horror and the agony

so when it's time to charge a kindle after a week the actually time you are charging it is extremely painful and the worst day of your life

seriously having to charge a device after 5 days is something of a challenging chore?

Okie dokie

I'll take the trade off to have the LCD color touch screen any day.

different strokes I guess
I didn't say it was unmanageable. My first ebook reader was a Jetbook with an LCD screen and it did need to be charged after about 4 days of reading. That being said, having a shorter battery life may be a disadvantage for some people depending on their circumstances.

For example, right now I am using my wife's Sony PRS-505. With two or more weeks between charges, I can take it on vacation with me without having to worry about charging it while I am away. In addition, since I will usually charge it when it gets to the last bar on the battery, if I forget to charge it one night, no big deal since there is probably enough life left in the battery for another day.

In addition, its a good thing the Nook has a replaceable battery because in my experience, if you are recharging twice a week, you may start needing to charge 4-5 times a week by the time the battery has been around for 2 years or so. In contrast, the Sony might well still go for a week or more.

Here is the real advantage of having a really long battery life... I don't need to think about it much. Most of the time I am just reading. Starting and stopping as I want without having to think much about the device. After two weeks, well then I might have to think about it a little.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,391
Karma: 1001781
Join Date: May 2010
Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I didn't say it was unmanageable. My first ebook reader was a Jetbook with an LCD screen and it did need to be charged after about 4 days of reading. That being said, having a shorter battery life may be a disadvantage for some people depending on their circumstances.

For example, right now I am using my wife's Sony PRS-505. With two or more weeks between charges, I can take it on vacation with me without having to worry about charging it while I am away. In addition, since I will usually charge it when it gets to the last bar on the battery, if I forget to charge it one night, no big deal since there is probably enough life left in the battery for another day.

In addition, its a good thing the Nook has a replaceable battery because in my experience, if you are recharging twice a week, you may start needing to charge 4-5 times a week by the time the battery has been around for 2 years or so. In contrast, the Sony might well still go for a week or more.

Here is the real advantage of having a really long battery life... I don't need to think about it much. Most of the time I am just reading. Starting and stopping as I want without having to think much about the device. After two weeks, well then I might have to think about it a little.

--
Bill

I understand your point if you were going on vacation in a remote settings and were roughing it with no generator or any electrical power within miles.
then yeah a Kindle of others would be a safer choice.

I just went on a week and half vacation out in colorodo. Charged it up the night before we left and charged it again 5 days later in the hotel while I was off sight seeing. It wasn't (ohhh my vacation is ruined I have to plug in my charger) I'm sorry if that sounds snarky but I just can not for the life of me wrap my head around this, "The battery life is just horrible" on the Nook. I sorry I can't . If someone finds that after 5-8(I can get 8 days out my nook pretty easisly) days having to charge your e-reader to be an ultra inconvience then I honestly think they have some serious issues. ( and I mean that in a loving way) but seriously. It's just not a big deal.

and if I'm on vacation overseas, I always bring my adapters since my phone and laptop need charging every night.

and you are right about a replacable battery feature on the Nook. All these batteries will eventually lose their ability to hold a charge. And the fact I can run out to my local store and grab one, is a nice option. Aso opposed to a Kindle where you have to ship it back to the factory. I'm not sure if the Sony has a replacable but if not again, a huge PIA.
Now if the Nook needed to be charged every day or about 12 hrs. Then yeah I would agree 200% but 5- 8 days? Really? Seriously?

Last edited by boswd; 09-22-2010 at 03:51 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
RPribyl
Loving the K3!
RPribyl began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 36
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post



the horror and the agony

so when it's time to charge a kindle after a week the actually time you are charging it is extremely painful and the worst day of your life

seriously having to charge a device after 5 days is something of a challenging chore?

Okie dokie

I'll take the trade off to have the LCD color touch screen any day.

different strokes I guess
I actually don't like the touch screen. Actually that's another thing I like about the Kindle....a keyboard! OH and I did bite the bullet....just got home with my brand new Kindle 3 from Target.
RPribyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
mgmueller's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,308
Karma: 13024950
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Augsburg (near Munich), Germany
Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPribyl View Post
OK first what I don't like about my nook:
Slow to turn pages
Battery life
If the battery gets too low, it's a complicated process to get it back on
Seems there could be more done with it

Things I enjoy:
I like the ability to go to B&N for the special offers but I don't really do it that often so I could live without it.
It seems to accept calibre conversions very well (formatting is much better than my Sony used to be)

The reasons I want a Kindle 3G:
The Kindle seems to be a better device (I've never used one but I'm going from what I've read)
Quicker page turning

Questions:
Does the Kindle accept Calibre conversions well?
Does the battery life really excel over the nook?
Thanks
Interesting.
I've always found battery life of nook benchmark.
Especially in standby. Some others run dry in 10 days, nook easily "survives" 3 weeks.
Similar for reading. I don't have the experience with the Graphite ones yet, didn't actually read on them so far.
But in standby, both Graphites seem to be far weaker than the former models. This may be due to G3 though. I've had the US models before and didn't use 3G in Germany. Now, on the international Graphites, this may be a battery hog.
I've used my German SIM in my softrooted nook though and still made 3 weeks...

Lots of people are quite enthusiastic about the Graphite units. I don't share that excitement. Contrast, due to smarter/bolder font on nook has been (significantly) better than on the former Kindles. Now the Graphites are slightly ahead. But it's far from being a quantum leap.

And: Personally, by far I prefer DX Graphite over K3. I absolutely don't like (or even hate) the tiny, flimsy 5-way-button on K3.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
McNutt
Member
McNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 1010
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Kindle 3
Nobody said it was an ultra inconvenience, but battery life is significantly better on the Kindle than the Nook. It might not be important to you, but it was a concern for the original poster.

I'm used to charging my devices periodically, but as mentioned above, it would be nice to not have to think about it. I am still on the fence with a Nook or K3 and battery life is an issue. While it's not always a pain to plug it in, I don't like the idea that when I want to read it will have a low charge. That might not happen that often, but it will most certainly happen more often than it would with a Kindle.
McNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jocampo's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,009
Karma: 6980745
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And: Personally, by far I prefer DX Graphite over K3. I absolutely don't like (or even hate) the tiny, flimsy 5-way-button on K3.
The 5-way button is what I love from my Kindle 3 It is responsive and feels good on my fingers. On my other Kindle DX buttons rattle a bit and they are just on one side not both.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,057
Karma: 72252545
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
heheheh Different people have different needs.

I love my DXG but that is because I like reading on the bigger screen.

As for battery life, if you travel internationally, battery life becomes a great deal more important. I travelled from Washington DC to Sydney Australia with my K1 and didn't need to recharge the battery. I read for close to 16 hours without having to worry about charging the battery. This included time in airports after arriving three hours early, a 2 hour layover in San Fransisco, and 18 hours total flight time. I can't sleep on planes.

You could not do that using a Nook. The battery would not last long enough. You could by a rechargable battery and carry that with you. Then you are paying extra for a second battery, you have to charge the battery ahead of time, and you have to keep track of the battery. What a pain. I know this because I was not sure that my K1 battery would last so I did buy a rechargeable battery, charged it, and carried it with me. Thankfully I didn't need it. I love having a device that has enough battery life to not have to worry about that the next time I travel.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,391
Karma: 1001781
Join Date: May 2010
Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
heheheh Different people have different needs.

I love my DXG but that is because I like reading on the bigger screen.

As for battery life, if you travel internationally, battery life becomes a great deal more important. I travelled from Washington DC to Sydney Australia with my K1 and didn't need to recharge the battery. I read for close to 16 hours without having to worry about charging the battery. This included time in airports after arriving three hours early, a 2 hour layover in San Fransisco, and 18 hours total flight time. I can't sleep on planes.

You could not do that using a Nook. The battery would not last long enough. You could by a rechargable battery and carry that with you. Then you are paying extra for a second battery, you have to charge the battery ahead of time, and you have to keep track of the battery. What a pain. I know this because I was not sure that my K1 battery would last so I did buy a rechargeable battery, charged it, and carried it with me. Thankfully I didn't need it. I love having a device that has enough battery life to not have to worry about that the next time I travel.
I am assuming they will be outlets available for your use where you would travel, assuming you aren't going into the depths of the Amazon. Any good international traveler would not be without their international adapters for their mobile devices, such as phones, laptops etc, (even then any hotel usually provides them) no reason you just can't recharge your nook at the hotel or heck even the airport.
I mean it does get 5 to 8 days, it's not like it gets only 1 day. Geeeesh
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony Daily Reader sell and get nook? shrktank Which one should I buy? 15 01-28-2011 02:32 PM
Thinking of sell Nook for Kindle 3..what you think? TheDeciderBoy Amazon Kindle 35 12-07-2010 01:15 PM
RUMOR: Best Buy will sell the Nook on 18 April Nate the great News 2 04-09-2010 07:21 AM
Classic Sony Daily Reader sell and get nook? shrktank Barnes & Noble NOOK 5 02-13-2010 09:33 AM
For Every 100 Books amazon Sell In Physical, they Sell 48 Kindle Books yagiz News 3 12-01-2009 11:55 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.