Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Alymon
Alymon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + Wi Fi
Adding Foreign Language Dictionaries

I was reading a sample of a book today, and there happens to be quite a bit of french words in the book without any explanation of their meaning. Some of them I recognize or can figure out from the context, but there are a few that I just don't know.

Of course I could always look them up in a print dictionary or online, but I was wondering if there was a way to add a foreign language dictionary to the Kindle and have it use that to search for words as necessary.

I did see that there were a couple French-English dictionaries for the Kindle listed on Amazon, but I want to be sure that it will be able to use them to look things up while I'm reading a book.

Has anyone done this or know if this can be done?
Alymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Tada! http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sr_tc_2_...4491&sr=8-2-tc

They even work the the instant lookup feature!

Also, its possible to repurpose dictionaries bought from other online sources with a bit of work, but i suspect that you would be more interested in a ready made one if you're just looking up a few words and not trying to learn the language.
dougmwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Alymon
Alymon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + Wi Fi
Thanks.

Just to be sure, that won't remove the existing dictionaries, right? It will just at an additional source for the Kindle to check when looking up a word?
Alymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
True, it will not overwrite the other dictionary. you will be able to switch between them.

the "change dictionary" setting is just a little hidden.

Go to “Home->Menu->Settings”, then “Menu->Change Primary Dictionary.”
dougmwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You do have to make sure that the dictionary you buy is compatible as a Kindle "default dictionary". There are some dictionaries that you can use as a book, but not as the primary dictionary. There is a section called "Kindle Default Dictionaries" in the Kindle store, under Kindle Books › Reference › Dictionaries & Thesauruses › Kindle Default Dictionaries.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote