Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
jibanes
Member
jibanes began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2007
Device: Sony Reader
Would the PRS-950 be appropriate for me?

Hello,

I'm the current owner of a PRS-500, and its upgraded model, the PRS-505. I love it, minor a few issues (battery life, issues with some SD cards, etc.) The screen quality of the PRS-505 is good, and I do like the metal (non plastic) casing (although I wish it was black, I might have to paint it someday).

I read mostly newspapers, technical documentation, foreign comics and documents in foreign languages (chinese, french, etc.) occasionally I read books, mostly in PDF. I think that the PRS-505 deals poorly with resizing/reflowing and comics, mostly due to its old(er) software, processing capabilities and other things. The documents I'm usually carrying are sizeable (16GB total or more, spread between few hundred books). Finally, I use Linux and other unix-es derivatives, which prevent the use of propriertary software to communicate with the reader.

My PRS-505 is getting old, and the screen is generally too small for my uses, would it be appropriate to upgrade it to a PRS-950 when available (november?) I've heard that the screen would be of similar quality, including the grayscale modes. Or would I rather orientate my choice towards another reader (Kindle or the like...). Please share your thoughts.

Thank you,
Jerome
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
thymaster
Connoisseur
thymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguethymaster can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Posts: 94
Karma: 22028
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: Sony PRS-350
Kindle because Amazon offers way more selection for newspapers and magazines. I've seen the DX in action and it is beautiful. The keyboard is a bonus for searching and typing notes faster. Also the free 3G service is great when you're on the go and need to download your content to your device. Too bad I'm a sucker for touch screen or else I would have went with a Kindle long time ago.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
trevgriff's Avatar
 
Posts: 149
Karma: 1001622
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
stay with the Sony my 900 is great for books and newspapers.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
jibanes
Member
jibanes began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2007
Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
Kindle because Amazon offers way more selection for newspapers and magazines. I've seen the DX in action and it is beautiful. The keyboard is a bonus for searching and typing notes faster. Also the free 3G service is great when you're on the go and need to download your content to your device. Too bad I'm a sucker for touch screen or else I would have went with a Kindle long time ago.
But I think the Kindle DX doesn't offer expantion slots?
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
TommyT
Member
TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.TommyT could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 3448
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: Sony PRS-650
Kindle has no expansion slots so you will have problem with your files and Kindle has much worse pdf support than newer sony devices. Kindle DX is MUCH larger than sony, which is a good thing for seeing the entire page without reflowing, but also a bad thing because dx is just way too big to carry around for some.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
jibanes
Member
jibanes began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2007
Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Kindle has no expansion slots so you will have problem with your files and Kindle has much worse pdf support than newer sony devices. Kindle DX is MUCH larger than sony, which is a good thing for seeing the entire page without reflowing, but also a bad thing because dx is just way too big to carry around for some.
You are right, the 900 however is very thick, do we know if the 950 would be a little slimmer? Also I do not like the eink display used on the 900, I think the 950 will be of better quality, correct (such as the difference between 600 and 505 or 650).

Finally, would it be possible to use the Wifi on the 950 to go to non-ebook related commercial sites to download files or simply view pages?

What's the maximal capacity the 950 may receive using SD+MC cards? 9+32GB or more such as 32+64GB for instance (given that the cost is not to be considered)?
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
vxf's Avatar
 
Posts: 931
Karma: 1414252
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norman, OK
Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
You are right, the 900 however is very thick, do we know if the 950 would be a little slimmer? Also I do not like the eink display used on the 900, I think the 950 will be of better quality, correct (such as the difference between 600 and 505 or 650).

Finally, would it be possible to use the Wifi on the 950 to go to non-ebook related commercial sites to download files or simply view pages?

What's the maximal capacity the 950 may receive using SD+MC cards? 9+32GB or more such as 32+64GB for instance (given that the cost is not to be considered)?

It is slimmer, at least it looks slimmer from the released pics. But the big difference is in weight, it's suppose to me much lighter.

The 950 will heave a Pearl screen, which means better contrast than the 900. And the new touchscreen is infrared, so no additional layer, which means no glare.

The 950 will have a basic web browser. I am not sure about the details there. And yes, the web browser will work only over WiFi, not over the 3g connection.

I don't know about max capacity. But have you tried loading even 10 Gb of ebooks on a card and putting it in a SONY device? They freeze to a standstill... so, max capacity supported is pretty irrelevant. Unless the firmware receives a major overhaul, you just can't put much stuff on a SONY reader...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
retnepracvt
Junior Member
retnepracvt began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vermont
Device: had a 600 - returned it for a 900
You might look at the content you'll be viewing. Most free books are in epub - which my 900 loves. Even the illustrated epubs. I don't think the Kindle does this format. As for capacity - I only use the interior 1.6 gig memory. My unit is 3/4 full and currently holds 600 books. Who needs more than 600 books, to carry around in 1 device? I love my Sony!
retnepracvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 59
Karma: 34
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: sony 900
The dimensions of the 950 are approximately 2 inches taller and wider as well as 4 onces heavier. Whatever advances the 650 has, you can depend on those improvements in the 950 and possibly others as well. The WiFi/3G is great for daily newspapers, and it is very likely that none, including the NYT, will be free in the very near future.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
simplyparticular
Breecisely
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
simplyparticular's Avatar
 
Posts: 577
Karma: 1383778
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York
Device: PW2 & PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
The dimensions of the 950 are approximately 2 inches taller and wider as well as 4 onces heavier. Whatever advances the 650 has, you can depend on those improvements in the 950 and possibly others as well. The WiFi/3G is great for daily newspapers, and it is very likely that none, including the NYT, will be free in the very near future.
2 inches taller than what? The 650?

Based on this picture here, the 950 is slightly smaller than the 900:
Sony Reader 900 vs. 950

The article that accompanies Engadget's picture says that the 950 weighs .5 pounds. In the 8oz range would seem right, since the 650 weighs 7+ oz.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 59
Karma: 34
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: sony 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
2 inches taller than what? The 650?

Based on this picture here, the 950 is slightly smaller than the 900:
Sony Reader 900 vs. 950

The article that accompanies Engadget's picture says that the 950 weighs .5 pounds. In the 8oz range would seem right, since the 650 weighs 7+ oz.
2 inches taller and wider than the 900. Please refer to the stats on the Sony site. Type in "PRS 950" and you will get the dimensions. By the way it is apprx. 2 and 1/4 inches thick. The weight is in error. Sony surely meant 1.23 lbs not ounces.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 406634
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
2 inches taller and wider than the 900. Please refer to the stats on the Sony site. Type in "PRS 950" and you will get the dimensions. By the way it is apprx. 2 and 1/4 inches thick. The weight is in error. Sony surely meant 1.23 lbs not ounces.
This is the official PRS 950 page, and they haven't put up any specifications there. It would be nice if you could provide a link to these specifications, since I'm unable to find them anywhere on any of Sonys pages.

But surely you must realize that these specifications must be wrong? A reader that is 2 and 1/4 inches thick and that weighs 1.23 lbs is so ridiculous that I can't understand why you continue to spread this information around. Just looking at the pictures on Sonys page immediately shows that this must be completely wrong. It is probably the size and weight of the whole package, as someone suggested in another thread.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Kolenka's Avatar
 
Posts: 973
Karma: 1254645
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Device: Sony T2, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
This is the official PRS 950 page, and they haven't put up any specifications there. It would be nice if you could provide a link to these specifications, since I'm unable to find them anywhere on any of Sonys pages.

But surely you must realize that these specifications must be wrong? A reader that is 2 and 1/4 inches thick and that weighs 1.23 lbs is so ridiculous that I can't understand why you continue to spread this information around. Just looking at the pictures on Sonys page immediately shows that this must be completely wrong. It is probably the size and weight of the whole package, as someone suggested in another thread.
It's gotta be the whole package. 2.25" is a HUGE thickness. It'd make it the most overbloated reader in existence.

This 950 here definitely isn't taller, wider, or thicker than the 900 right next to it: http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-...ds-on/#3315563
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 59
Karma: 34
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: sony 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
This is the official PRS 950 page, and they haven't put up any specifications there. It would be nice if you could provide a link to these specifications, since I'm unable to find them anywhere on any of Sonys pages.

But surely you must realize that these specifications must be wrong? A reader that is 2 and 1/4 inches thick and that weighs 1.23 lbs is so ridiculous that I can't understand why you continue to spread this information around. Just looking at the pictures on Sonys page immediately shows that this must be completely wrong. It is probably the size and weight of the whole package, as someone suggested in another thread.

As indicated previously, if you go to the sony ebook reader site and at the top search type in PRS 950 you will find the dimensions cited there.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Kolenka's Avatar
 
Posts: 973
Karma: 1254645
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Device: Sony T2, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinca View Post
As indicated previously, if you go to the sony ebook reader site and at the top search type in PRS 950 you will find the dimensions cited there.
So I see you are talking about the "Quick Look" pane that is brought up from the search.

Unfortunately, there is no way the dimensions are correct. Real 950s have been in people's hands, and show that the height/width is roughly the same, while the thickness is smaller than the 900.

2 inches thick should be a huge clue that the dimensions are likely the packaging dimensions, not the unit itself. There hasn't been an E-reader shipped that is more than 1", let alone more than 2" thick.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PRS 950 or 650?? petercreasey Sony Reader 119 11-29-2010 08:04 PM
PRS-950 PRS-950 available for pre-order from Sony dmapr Sony Reader 32 10-24-2010 02:32 PM
SONY PRS-950 is up on the FCC website switchman2210 News 16 10-05-2010 01:27 PM
PRS 650 + iPad or PRS 950 jerryleejr Which one should I buy? 6 10-05-2010 06:14 AM
The PRS 950 SC jackinca Sony Reader 4 09-18-2010 11:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.