enthdegree
enthdegree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Will the Kindle 3 do all of this?

I was considering buying the Kindle 3 to do the following:
  • chroot to Debian
  • Install a tiling window manager, gtk, evince, webkit, uzbl, wpa-supplicant
  • Use the Kindle 3 as an SSH, PDF reading, web browsing device

I understand that there is a lot of overhead to running Debian over chroot, and other incompatibilities may arise with the packages I want. Will the Kindle 3 work like I want it to?
enthdegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5 Paperwhite and a Simple touch Nook
Have you ever looked at the current kindle offerings from amazon, there is no kindle three and there is nothing with a keyboard on it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
rcentros
Guru
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST & NST w/Glow, Kindle 4(Black) & Touch 3G, Sony T2 & Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Have you ever looked at the current kindle offerings from amazon, there is no kindle three and there is nothing with a keyboard on it.
And yet Kindle 3s (aka Kindle Keyboards) are still available used. So this has -- what -- to do with enthdegree's questions?

As for the answers to the actual questions, I have no idea. enthdegree might want to look at the Kindle hacking sub-forum.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
Is it possible? I've seen some posting online about installing Linux as a command line OS. Is it usable as a window based tablet. I would think not. The refresh rate on eink is pretty darn slow and the system itself is pretty limited (processor and memory).
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
enthdegree
enthdegree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Indeed, people have gotten Debian for armel running on the Kindle Keyboard ('Kindle 3') both through chroot and directly booting (there seems to be more activity supporting a chrooted environment)

Having used Android on a Nook Simple Touch, I don't think refresh rate or processing resources should be an issue. Embedded Linux is really quite robust!
enthdegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
rcentros
Guru
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST & NST w/Glow, Kindle 4(Black) & Touch 3G, Sony T2 & Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthdegree View Post
Having used Android on a Nook Simple Touch, I don't think refresh rate or processing resources should be an issue. Embedded Linux is really quite robust!
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what version of embedded Linux Amazon customized to use on their Kindles?
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote