Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #16
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Its actually funny; I was certain I had actually read at one point that Microsoft had changed how mounts of removal drives were performed, and that for USB attached devices there was no need to perform the eject function.
I assume it waits to synchronize. Some file systems do that in the
background. Probably matters if some applications use fs. I'm not
sure how fat/vfat/ntfs knows when it's clean and when corrupted.

Original poster could shed more light into the topic. My bet is that
everything works fine, so no need to post further.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Vivian
Enthusiast
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
Thumbs up The Fix

To follow up on my last post, after I ran CHKDSK with the /F switch, the directories were readable and all was fine. But when I unplugged it, it tried to synchronize and still found no books, and when I plugged it back into the computer, it was once again "corrupt and unreadable."

It eventually dawned on me that in its attempts to synchronize, it was corrupting itself. So I ran CHKDSK /F again, then went into the directory, backed up all my ebooks and deleted every ebook file from the e-reader, including the ones in the Digital Editions directory. Once I'd done that, I ran Kobo Desktop, and it started downloading the new firmware upgrade, so that was a good sign.

After the upgrade was done, the reader was working but still had no books on it, so I had to figure out how to get the 100 preloaded books back on. Happily, that solution was available right on this forum: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=12 (thanks Sameer). So I followed those instructions, and then all my books were back, and I was very happy--and tired, because it was 1:30 in the morning.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
Vivian
Enthusiast
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Although I agree with Zoran when he said that unplugging without a proper disconnect can cause some big problems, it sounds like you had not done anything wrong when you plugged it in and got the message about formatting the drive--unless you had "pulled the plug" in that way at an earlier time.

It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the desktop was installed.
Quite right that I had not done anything wrong when it first gave me the message. I hadn't unplugged it yet so obviously what went wrong happened before that.

Normally it wouldn't be a problem that the desktop app was not installed, but that was the day a new firmware upgrade came out. Coincidence? I think not. Maybe the reader has a mechanism that checks for upgrades, and if the desktop app isn't installed it buggers things up.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
Quite right that I had not done anything wrong when it first gave me the message. I hadn't unplugged it yet so obviously what went wrong happened before that.
Could you repeat once more exact steps you took?

Quote:
Normally it wouldn't be a problem that the desktop app was not installed, but that was the day a new firmware upgrade came out. Coincidence? I think not. Maybe the reader has a mechanism that checks for upgrades, and if the desktop app isn't installed it buggers things up.
Hm! I doubt. It should be aware of internet protocols and has it's own
ip address. And to know gateway address. Then to start client to connect
to kobo server. I assume desktop exists to unload reader of those tasks.
At least, slim chances. Someone would notice it on the sd card image or
using the device.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #20
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I assume it waits to synchronize. Some file systems do that in the
background. Probably matters if some applications use fs. I'm not
sure how fat/vfat/ntfs knows when it's clean and when corrupted.

Original poster could shed more light into the topic. My bet is that
everything works fine, so no need to post further.
It's a write-caching option, I believe Microsoft has now defaulted to leaving write-caching turned off for any removal drive.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote