Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #31
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Wifi, Nexus 7 (2013), Samsung Tab 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Since you have the 3G one, it's a bit strange.
When there's no WiFi available, the 3G/WiFi Kindle will use the 3G .
I'm not sure if this has been explicitly stated in the forum, but my understanding is:

If you have the wifi + 3G:
The Kindle 3 will default FIRST to the wifi even if 3G is available. It is cheaper (for Amazon) and considerably faster. Your wifi to the router ought to be up to 50 mbps; and your pipe out to the rest of world over DSL or cable perhaps 3 to 15 mbps for most users with relatively low latency. If wifi is NOT available, only then will the Kindle 3 attempt to use 3G -- typically much slower (1 to 3 mbps; up to 7 in the lab) than wifi and plagued with latency issues.

If you have the wifi only:
The Kindle 3 obviously only operates on wifi. Congratulations! All you have lost is 3G as a backup connection. If you typically use the Kindle 3 where wifi is available -- your home, practically any hotel on vacation or business -- you are just as connected, around the world, as you might be with 3G ... only faster and more reliable. And, you saved fifty bucks.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #32
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I'm not sure if this has been explicitly stated in the forum, but my understanding is
Yup. Exactly. I'd expect and want the Kindle 3G+WiFi to go use WiFi if I've set it to.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #33
Tech
Tech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
I got my Kindle 3 yesterday. Thanks for notifying me of the update.

I bought the "International" version, as I live in Europe. But my device serial starts with B006 which the download page says is for US/Canada. Trying the US/Canada update now. EDIT: Works great!

Last edited by Tech; 09-10-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #34
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I'd go for serial.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #35
Tech
Tech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmanden View Post
I'd go for serial.
I did, and it worked. Seems to be a bit faster for heavy tasks (large graphical PDFs). Never had hang issues during the 24 hours I've had it, but glad to be running the latest version. Seems like a solid product with good support from Amazom.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #36
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Also, you didn't say whether you were outside the U.S. when this happened, and that message would occur even then only when there was no AT&T-involved 3G available for your Kindle browser in that area.
Just to clarify - AT&T is not the only carrier used for the Kindle - in the UK it is Vodafone 3G

Also 'Sensualpoet'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualpoet
If you have the wifi only:
The Kindle 3 obviously only operates on wifi. Congratulations! All you have lost is 3G as a backup connection. If you typically use the Kindle 3 where wifi is available -- your home, practically any hotel on vacation or business -- you are just as connected, around the world, as you might be with 3G ... only faster and more reliable. And, you saved fifty bucks.
Unfortunately Free WiFi hotspots are not as common in the UK or many other countries
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote