Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #31
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
I bought it because of the reasonable price and because it's (kind of) Canadian.

I still like these things about it. That it's simple, very easy to hold in one hand, handles library books nicely, and is amenable to all kinds of fiddling via Calibre etc. are plusses I've discovered in the meantime.

And it's even cheaper now, too! I returned mine the other day, 'cause of the atrocious battery life (and this I do not like!). I not only got a new one, instantly and with no questions asked, but also a gift card to make up the difference between what I paid (C$149) and the current price (C$128). Now that's customer service!

Oh, and I totally agree with SensualPoet about the newspaper/magazine subscription question. No way is the Kobo or any other e-reader of this size going to handle a whole publication. I like Instapaper, though, for grabbing individual articles and converting them to ePubs.

Last edited by corona; 09-22-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added the bit about newspapers etc.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #32
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I initially bought the Kobo because it was on sale for $129.00. The user interface was very simplistic and that appealed to me. In short, I went through 4 units in about a week before deciding it wasn't for me.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #33
enriquem
enriquem began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I bought one because it was light, and had a comfortable back to hold. I haven't regretted it since...
enriquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #34
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful began at the beginning.

Comfort!

I tried out the Sony first but the Kobo was so much more comfortable to hold. It was love at first read for me.
It helped that it was Canadian and I could get my hands on it before buying.
(The only thing I wish it had that the Sony had is the ability to bookmark specific pages.)
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #35
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

I bought mine because I liked its simplicity and I didn't want to be 'tied' to just one book format, as with the Kindle etc.

The jury is still out for me ...

I hope just one brick is all I'll end up with; as opposed to having enough to almost lay the foundation of a Kobo wall like others I know of have!!
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #36
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
Inexpensive with local support won me over.

My Kobo has been running like a top since day one. I cannot complain about that thus far.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #37
mamasue
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
My Kobo has been running like a top since day one. I cannot complain about that thus far.
So was mine until 3 days ago.

I was feeling so smug! Serves me right.

Turned it off on Saturday night, picked it up to read again on Sunday night .. all sorts of weird things!

Now it's just another in the Kobo wall
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #38
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
That does play on my mind too
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #39
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
Turned it off on Saturday night, picked it up to read again on Sunday night .. all sorts of weird things!
(
What exactly? You tend to reflash, as I recall.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #40
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Price

I hate to say that but I haven't touched my kobo ever since my K3 arrived. I used to love my kobo, but K3 is just so much better than it in MANY MANY ways. Also in where I live, amazon's book selection and price beat kobo plus all other epub bookstore, hands down.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #41
mamasue
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
What exactly? You tend to reflash, as I recall.
not done yet, but not far off now

here's the list of things it did before it finally froze on the loading screen - you know where the bars start to load bottom right corner? 4 days later it's still showing frozen at that page.
  • it froze when it was loading the book I was currently reading
  • the screen flickered and flashed between various menu pages
  • the "I'm reading" page eventually loaded, but when I attempted to load the book I was currently reading, it defaulted to the Library list of books
  • when I tried to turn the reader off, it froze when the loading bars were displayed; or when the little wheel in the top right corner was displayed
  • with every push of the D-pad, the light in the top right corner flickered several times between violet and blue, before eventually going out completely
  • when I accessed the 'Display' menu I got this message .. There are no display options for this page.
I connected to my computer in the hope it was just the battery flat, but after several hours of connection - with four resets attempted - the above issues were still happening

It all just happened 'out of the blue' - no warnings, with previous almost faultless function.

Last edited by mamasue; 10-07-2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: cuz I can'tz spellz
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #42
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

The same problems people with 1.0 posted before. Upgrade solved almost
all issues, except missing features, like go-to or faster cpu. When you get
SD card, be aware the reader is fully charged. Insert card when it is down,
push middle button and power it up. Then just wait and do nothing.
Post-upgrade period might be mind consuming. "I'm reading" is full of all
kinds of books and it lasts till next recharge. I avoided SD card for storage
and had no trouble on sight.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #43
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 650, Ipod Touch
I bought mine, because it supported ePub... I found it way too slow, and sold it... Bought a Kogan instead, but then Sony 650 came on the market in Australia, so now I'll sell my Kogan, and buy the 650...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #44
mamasue
Zealot

zoran
Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #45
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I bought my Kobo because it was one of the few ebook readers in New Zealand, and certainly the cheapest. I'm still very pleased with it and haven't seen anything else that would tempt me away.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote