Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Droid Bionic, 1st Gen Kindle Fire. All Sony's Retired
Did the release of the PRS300 and 600

Did the release of the PRS300 and 600 generate as much interest and speculation as the 350 and the 650? I've not been around other ebook afficianados much, so I have no history to compare. But it sure seems that the announcement of the 350 and the 650 has revitalized Sony's image as a reader manufacturer, and I wonder if this is a normal event for Sony eReaders or if this is a bit unusual.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Did the release of the PRS300 and 600 generate as much interest and speculation as the 350 and the 650? I've not been around other ebook afficianados much, so I have no history to compare. But it sure seems that the announcement of the 350 and the 650 has revitalized Sony's image as a reader manufacturer, and I wonder if this is a normal event for Sony eReaders or if this is a bit unusual.
As I recall, there was quite a bit of speculation and excitement beforehand. The idea of a touchscreen on a reader was quite new then. However, it may not have been quite as fervent as now, because so many people were so devoted to the 505, which was and is such an elegant piece of hardware (I rank it right up there with the Palm V). It really was a hard product to top. Then when the first reviews of the 600 came in, the big glare debate began, which I think put off even more people. Personally, I think this is just the way development cycles tend to go. The 505 was a perfected version of the 500. If hopes are fulfilled, the 650 will be a perfected version of the 600.

Andrew

Last edited by Avwriter; 09-07-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Proud Daddy!
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
From what I recall, most of the news surrounding the 300 and 600 revolved around how much better the 505 was. Although the 600 was touted as heads and tails above the epic fail 700, and tons of people loved the smaller 300, I agree that the release of the 350/650 is largely accepted as Sony's re-entry into the game.
AlbertaCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
I agree there was a lot of excitement and speculation. It seems like there was a lot more excitement waiting for the release of the 300/600 than there is for the 350/650 though. Having watched the excitement level over the new Kindles I would have to say the excitement level over the new Sonys is but a fraction of the former. I thought there would be a higher level of interest, but perhaps people or just cautious after the lackluster 700 and 600 models, and the slightly better 900 model. Perhaps it has to do with Sony's lack of enthusiasm. Compare the master of electronic releases, Apple, and their build up to every new release of the iPhone, iPods, iPad, or even the lesser build up by Amazon for the release of their new Kindles. Both companies did a much better job of getting public attention and driving the frenzy, so to speak. Sony just seems to not even be that interested in pushing their new readers. If I was the CEO of Sony I would either light a fire under the manager of the Reader division or just cancel it due to lack of enthusiasm. If Sony isn't that enhusiastic, then they cannot expect consumers to be enthusiastic.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-08-2010 at 01:02 PM.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote