Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2010, 02:04 AM   #46
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.
 
eGeezer's Avatar
 
Posts: 396
Karma: 4864
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle
Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I just skimmed over this thread and didn't see anything about the fact that there are several sources for Amazon Kindle without stripping DRM or converting.
And I cautiously insert that we still haven't seen anything about it.

We have, however, seen it either implied or inferred, depending on whether the speaker meant to say it, or whether we THOUGHT it was what the speaker meant when saying whatever was said.

But even you, who seem to provide a calm input to the subject, fail to list these mysterious sources of Kindle books not requiring DRM stripping. Several folks have been wondering, and still eagerly await the info.

And I do not mean to be facetious, here. I have long believed the (apparent) myth that Kindle users are locked into Amazon for their purchases (besides Public Domain, of course), and would very much like to see the proof of the error of my beliefs.

Thank you for your response.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #47
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,040
Karma: 72245445
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Just a few of the options. I am grabbing these because they are easy to cut and paste. I beleive Waterstone and WH Smith in the UK sell Kindle books as well. I could be wrong on those names since I have never shopped there. Smashwords also sells books for Kindle.

Free Ebooks (not necessarily Kindle):
http://www.anova.org/
http://www.baen.com/library/ (Science fiction)
http://www.bartleby.com/
http://darrylslibrary.wordpress.com/free-ebooks/
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooks.php (Books in French)
http://feedbooks.com/books/top?order=week
http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot....l/.mobi%20.prc
http://freekindlebooks.org/
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.kindleclassics.org/
http://manybooks.net//
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128
and for an annual fee http://www.worldlibrary.net
http://www.spontaneousderivation.com/kindle/

Not Necessarily Free Ebooks
Bristlecone Pine Press: http://www.bcpinepress.com/
Digital Book Index: http://www.digitalbookindex.com/about.htm
EBooks Just Published: www.ebooksjustpublished.com PDF Format, sometimes free
Elisco Publishing: http://eliscopublishing.com
Fictionwise: www.fictionwise.com (select multi-format books for Kindle)
Horror-Mall: http://www.horror-mall.com/Digital-E...p-1-c-370.html more info Tor Books: www.tor.com (register, and they give away free books from time to time; also free short stories fairly often)
http://onedollarorbit.com/
Webscription (part of Baen) http://www.webscription.net



Foreign Language Websites (Non-English )
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooks.php Free! (French)

EBook Blog List on Kindleboards
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph....html#msg26206
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #48
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,450
Karma: 1550000
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Sigh, you realize, that when people say the Kindle is a closed device, we don't mean that you can't get DRM free books for it. What we are saying is that for those many, many titles that do have DRM, there is no where to get those titles, except from Amazon.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #49
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,040
Karma: 72245445
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are 10 sites listed, 7 with URL's, were you can buy books for the Kindle that are not Amazon. Are the the best sellers? The two UK sites sell the best sellers. The other sites feature indie authors and specific genres.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #50
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.
 
eGeezer's Avatar
 
Posts: 396
Karma: 4864
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle
Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Thanks for the feedback, although I have to agree with Bill that no one ever claimed Kindle couldn't read free books. But I personally appreciate finally seeing your list instead of a blanket claim that "I can buy books from all those sources, too".

Of course, free books don't count as "buying", and nowhere on your list do I see any of "all those sources" listed by the OP as claimed by the SP (Second Poster).
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #51
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 173
Karma: 392
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Can someone post a link here on the sites which provide scripts to strip the DRM from purchased or library ebooks?
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #52
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,450
Karma: 1550000
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Can someone post a link here on the sites which provide scripts to strip the DRM from purchased or library ebooks?
I am sure the moderator will chime in. But because stripping DRM is a questionable legal practice (it depends on what country you are in), it is not something that you are allowed to post information on in the forums other than basically acknowledging that it can be done.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #53
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,040
Karma: 72245445
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am sure a quick trip on google will answer your question.

There are more sources for Kindle users if you are willing to convert and if you are willing to strip DRM. But that goes for all e-book readers.

I have not had to look outside Amazon for my books. Everything I have wanted is there. If you don't spend time online learning about formats and the like, Amazon has the best store out there. For the folks who are not interested in converting and stripping and searching, the Kindle is a great buy. You are likely to find the book you are looking for in their store and the price is almost always competitive, many times it is the lowest out there.

The flexibility of the Nook is not something that I need. I know that I am not the only one who feels that way. It is great that you guys can buy from a ton of places without worrying about anything. It is great for me that I have not had to worry about that.

Both are good readers. The sniping at each other is a bit silly. I admit to loving my Kindle but have recommended the Nook to people who want to check out library books or really want a touch screen. Other then that I tend to push the Kindle because it is a great device, with excellent CS support, and a large book store.

I do get a bit tired of the "It doesn't have EPub" because the bookstore has enough books for folks with more mainstream and slightly less mainstream reading and because conversion is not difficult. In my opinion, it is a sill argument. I get that EPub is important to folks, fine, but please stop talking about the Kindle being tied into one store because it is not.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #54
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,040
Karma: 72245445
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Although my Kindle still makes a crappy cup of tea
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #55
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,450
Karma: 1550000
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

I do get a bit tired of the "It doesn't have EPub" because the bookstore has enough books for folks with more mainstream and slightly less mainstream reading and because conversion is not difficult. In my opinion, it is a sill argument. I get that EPub is important to folks, fine, but please stop talking about the Kindle being tied into one store because it is not.
Keep in mind that ePub does allow for somewhat more sophisticated layout than the Mobi format that Kindle uses. Probably not a major factor for 99% of the novels out there, but still.

And, unless you are willing and able to strip DRM, the Kindle is absolutely tied to one store for the vast majority of new books published by major publishers.

I agree that being restricted to Amazon does not really restrict one's reading choice in any meaningful way. It does however mean that you may not be able to shop around for the best price on a book (particularly if the agency pricing model doesn't hold).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #56
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ProfCrash's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,040
Karma: 72245445
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
(shrugs)

Maybe if I ever read an EPub book I would get why it is so special but I haven't and I have not felt robbed.

I want the agency pricing to go away, Amazon's prices were wonderfully low. Amazon's prices work for me. I like having my books backed up by Amazon so there would have to be a massive price difference to overcome the convience of having my book archived for me. I suppose if Amazon charged more for its books before the Agency Model I would be concerned, but they didn't. Amazon was frequently on par with other book stores if not cheaper.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #57
caryanne2
Member
caryanne2 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharan View Post
that's not true. Once you remove drm, time limit no longer applies & your can keep your copy forever.
what you are saying is not true. You don't remove the drm from library books. The scripts used for library books change your kindle ID into a PID like a mobipocket and makes it readable. The books are readable on the Kindle for 2 weeks from when you downloaded them. After that time they are NOT readable on the kindle anymore, just like any other device.
caryanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #58
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Elfwreck's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,142
Karma: 24387938
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Can someone post a link here on the sites which provide scripts to strip the DRM from purchased or library ebooks?
As mentioned, Mobileread doesn't allow direct links to anti-DRM software. (Whether or not it would be legal to do so, MR can't afford to be targeted by a lawsuit.)

The magic words for the google genie are "inept" and "cabbages." Adding "DRM" and "ebooks" wouldn't hurt either.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #59
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 173
Karma: 392
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I am sure the moderator will chime in. But because stripping DRM is a questionable legal practice (it depends on what country you are in), it is not something that you are allowed to post information on in the forums other than basically acknowledging that it can be done.

So the legality of stripping DRM is questionable since MR forum does not allow posting of such sites. In fact, it was noted that from the archive posts, Amazon issued a legal notice to MobileRead.com in 2009 complaining that information relating to a computer utility written in the Python programming language "constitutes a violation" of the DMCA. The site since voluntarily followed their request and removed links and detailed instructions related to it.

It is obvious from Amazon’s legal threat to MR that they do not design their kindle for open format nor do they endorse such practice of stripping DRM. If the kindle end users chose to override the intentional format restrictions imposed by Amazon through evading the copy right DRM without any concerns on the legal or ethical implications of said practice, it is a matter of their personal preference. However, there are others who feel otherwise and chose not to bother with such a company or with such a device, their choice should be respected by the community too. Anyway, the debate of stripping DRM from either purchased or library books is really OFF topic since the OP is requesting information on buying books for the Nook, not a defense for the short coming of the kindle.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #60
LynnO
Member
LynnO is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 56
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mountain West, USA
Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
Hey, anyone have some answer to the OP? Pretty please!

In my fantasies, I'd have a nook and a Kindle. Each has pluses and minuses.

And I have a nook because my husband gave to me as a gift. But I likely would have chosen the nook anyhow- mainly library books.

If B&N ever goes out of business, I can jailbreak (is that the same as soft rooting?) my nook and still use it. I LOVE my ipods but after seeing the new nano (triple yuck), I'm a lot more concerned about being totally tied to one mfg. To use something I bought, I have to buy their product.

Last edited by LynnO; 09-11-2010 at 12:30 AM.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<Command Line> Add multiple books in multiple formats himitsu Calibre 8 09-25-2010 11:07 PM
Print versions and multiple feed sources msgnfg Calibre 0 01-12-2010 02:07 AM
Sources of books asandler Sony Reader Dev Corner 9 08-17-2009 01:14 AM
Best Sources of E-Books Bob Russell Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 84 08-13-2008 06:48 PM
Retrieving Multiple News Sources in libprs500 dsuden Calibre 2 04-29-2008 03:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.