Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
JHarry
Enthusiast
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 6754
Join Date: Dec 2013
Device: Onyx Boox M92
Cool Can I turn off the front-light (KV,PW2/3)?Thanks.

Hello,I am going to buy a Kindle(KV,PW2/3)
However, my friend told me that these devices cannot turn off the light
My questions are:
1.Is that true?for KV,PW2,PW3?
2.Can we turn off the light ?

Thank you very much!
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,052
Karma: 7025884
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarry View Post
Hello,I am going to buy a Kindle(KV,PW2/3)
However, my friend told me that these devices cannot turn off the light
My questions are:
1.Is that true?for KV,PW2,PW3?
2.Can we turn off the light ?

Thank you very much!
Your friend obviously never learned how to use the search features of this forum for already existing solutions.
See the FGA thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #3
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
eschwartz's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,722
Karma: 53173140
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hint: You are looking for an extension called Front Light Master -- or its prequel, FLToggle.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 69,749
Karma: 50926911
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Worth noting, though, that on its lowest setting, the light is the faintest of glimmers in a pitch dark room. There is really no reason to wish to turn it off; its power consumption on its lowest setting is negligible and if there is any kind of illumination in the room, you aren't going to see the frontlight if you turn it right down.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
JHarry
Enthusiast
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 6754
Join Date: Dec 2013
Device: Onyx Boox M92
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Worth noting, though, that on its lowest setting, the light is the faintest of glimmers in a pitch dark room. There is really no reason to wish to turn it off; its power consumption on its lowest setting is negligible and if there is any kind of illumination in the room, you aren't going to see the frontlight if you turn it right down.
I just want to confirm that the feature maybe new and just for PW3/KV
However, not.
Maybe the front-light won't hurt our eyes.Haha.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by JHarry; 08-07-2015 at 09:30 AM.
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
JHarry
Enthusiast
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 6754
Join Date: Dec 2013
Device: Onyx Boox M92
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your friend obviously never learned how to use the search features of this forum for already existing solutions.
See the FGA thread.
Currently I found that there was nothing about "turn off front-light"for PW3/KV
I just wonder the reason why Amazon do that.
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
JHarry
Enthusiast
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 6754
Join Date: Dec 2013
Device: Onyx Boox M92
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Hint: You are looking for an extension called Front Light Master -- or its prequel, FLToggle.
Thank you
But it seems that jailbreak for PW3/KV is not easy for beginners.(hardware jailbreak!)

Thank you all the same.
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
eschwartz's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,722
Karma: 53173140
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Correct, jailbreaking is a real pain now. I assumed since you were posting in the Developer's Corner you were already aware it would most likely require jailbreaking.


I hope you aren't one of those rare people who seem to be unable to tolerate the light at any level. Contrary to HarryT's convictions, we have gotten a few of those people, and I don't see anything wrong with some people having unusual levels of (un-)tolerance.

That being said, most people who were afraid it might be a problem, turned out not to find it a problem.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 69,749
Karma: 50926911
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Oh, I didn't say that nobody wanted to turn it off; just that there was no reason to want to do so.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
eschwartz's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,722
Karma: 53173140
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I think if you are one of those odd people, the fact that your eyes are more sensitive is a valid reason...

And I don't assume they are just imagining things.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
HarryT's Avatar
 
Posts: 69,749
Karma: 50926911
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6, MS Surface Pro, N7
Let's look at it rationally.

If you are reading in conditions sufficiently light to allow you to read without the front light, you can reduce the front light to a level at which it can't be seen.

If you're reading in conditions that are so dark that you can't see the screen without the front light, then you need the light to read with.

Is there a scenario in which you need to turn the light off? I can't think of one; perhaps someone can give an example of one?
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
eschwartz's Avatar
 
Posts: 13,722
Karma: 53173140
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Not being an ophthalmologist and never having consulted one on the matter, I cannot say with any certainty that you are wrong. But I cannot say with any certainty that you are right either.

I would be extremely hesitant to say such a problem is all in the imagination. I find it very reasonable to think that such sensitivity could exist.
Are you a licensed ophthalmologist/have done research on what the doctors actually say, or are you an "armchair internet doctor"?


That being said, I also am quite willing to believe that people will imagine problems that don't exist, or preemptively worry about non-issues.

Hence, my advice is that people who are concerned about the light should stop worrying "because it generally isn't a problem", NOT "because if you are having this problem, I promise you are just imagining it you fool".

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-07-2015 at 03:51 PM.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
shamanNS
Zealot
shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.shamanNS can grok the meaning of the universe.
 
Posts: 115
Karma: 158890
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Serbia
Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Worth noting, though, that on its lowest setting, the light is the faintest of glimmers in a pitch dark room. There is really no reason to wish to turn it off; its power consumption on its lowest setting is negligible and if there is any kind of illumination in the room, you aren't going to see the frontlight if you turn it right down.
No, there is/was no reason for Amazon not to including that function, it stands to reason that value of zero should be off and not "almost off".

One concrete example for needing "true off" state: My PW1 now has hairline crack in light-guide layer which causes that area to be extra extra bright. And if my Kindle wasn't jailbreaked now I would be f*cked. Because that line is almost the same brightness even when Kindle is set to lowest value.
Since it is jailbreaked I can turn the light off and at least read on it when outdoors without having that bright line killing my enjoyment.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #14
AirRaven
Junior Member
AirRaven began at the beginning.
 
AirRaven's Avatar
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2015
Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen), Kindle 3 (3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there a scenario in which you need to turn the light off? I can't think of one; perhaps someone can give an example of one?
A family member of mine is legally blind - the only way she can read her Kindle is to have the text set to the highest size setting and for the device to be extremely close to her face.

She finds the light the screen emits to be quite painful to focus on at that kind of distance for extended periods - she never had that problem with older unlit models. It just leaves her eyes feeling more strained/tired significantly faster- completely stripped the pleasure from reading on the device, and she ended up going back to her old K4.

It's a genuine concern for some people - I'm glad that there's some way to turn it off, even if it's awkward to set up these days.
AirRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,052
Karma: 7025884
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: Too many.
The KT2 (a.k.a: the new basic Kindle) might be a better choice than the K4 which it replaces.

- - - -

There is (somewhere here) directions for changing the size and position of tap zones (on other models) - that should also be possible on the KT2 so they can be set to nose size.

Last edited by knc1; 08-08-2015 at 08:54 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aura HD Front light not working lukasz Kobo Reader 6 05-01-2015 03:01 AM
does the front light flicker? explorer1 Amazon Kindle 1 03-31-2015 01:17 PM
What is your main use for your front light speakingtohe General Discussions 43 09-15-2013 11:45 AM
Kindle PW front light... freezer2k Amazon Kindle 52 09-09-2013 09:37 AM
Front Light Idea drgnbear Sony Reader 10 02-13-2007 06:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.