Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Shambler
Shambler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle DX 3G

Probably an obvious 'no' answer, but is it possible to setup your own 3G access point on a home network, like you would with a WiFi access point, and have the Kindle DX connect to the internet through that?

Some initial searching on Google, leaves me thinking that it's either not possible or very difficult.
Shambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300
Yes, it's possible, but you would need the cooperation of Amazon's 3G network provider.
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
In theory it is possible as GSM femtocell devices exist for people with bad reception at home/work but as Tomsk said, you need the cooperation of the GSM provider for the Kindle.

The provider needs to let you link the femtocell into their network and you need to specify the IMSI or provider account number of the Kindle so the femtocell will accept connections from it. Unless Amazon decide to release something, it is unlikely to happen.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPhone 5S, Nexus 7 32 gig. (2013), Dell 2350
I have a 4g/3g access point from time warner that I can use when traveling that lets me connect my computers by way of WIFI to the 3g/4g network. I am looking forward to testing it with my kindle when I finally get it.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Shambler
Shambler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ya hmm, I'd read a little bit about the femtocell things. Are you still paying fees to the service provider?

Also, is it possible for a hacked Kindle to be made to connect to any femotocell device?
Shambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambler View Post
Ya hmm, I'd read a little bit about the femtocell things. Are you still paying fees to the service provider?
You usually have a contract with the provider for a phone and the femtocell device is added to that contract. Some providers will charge for a monthly fee for the femtocell whilst others make you buy it with no ongoing fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambler View Post
Also, is it possible for a hacked Kindle to be made to connect to any femotocell device?
None of the hacks published have altered the radio inside a Kindle.

In theory you could hack it and then use the usbnetwork debugging feature but you'll need to be tethered to a computer for that to work.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote