|04-10-2011, 02:29 AM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2011
Just a Thought
I was wondering if anyone here would be able to port Calibre to android 2.2 and above i have seen tons of people who would love to see it for android
|04-10-2011, 03:03 AM||#2|
Join Date: Nov 2008
Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is extremely unlikely for a numbe of reasons:
- It would be a mamoth undertaking for which you would have to find interested people to have the requisite skills and have the motivation to put the time. Current Calibre developers are more interested in enhancing the product on the current platforms.
- There are a HUGE number of dependencies that would also need porting. Most of the requirements (e.g. the latest Qt libraries) are maintained by 3rd parties
- Does Android even have a Python v2.7 environment (which is what most of Calibre is written in.
- Porting the C code also used in Calbre is likely to be an issue as Android does not (I believe) provide support for native C apps.
- Android systems are almost certainly underpowred and short of resources for running Calibre. This may well change ove time, but by then Android will have moved on from 2.2.
Of course someone is welcome to try and prove me wrong!
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|A thought||cypherslock||Calibre||1||12-29-2009 07:43 PM|
|A thought... or two||daffy4u||Amazon Kindle||2||10-05-2009 10:52 AM|
|Just a thought..||AprilHare||Calibre||5||11-14-2008 11:36 PM|
|I Saw This and Thought of You||Mindy||Lounge||25||09-09-2008 11:33 AM|
|Just a thought...||pshrynk||Lounge||7||06-24-2008 07:29 AM|