Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Eldrod
Eldrod began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
OS Scheduled News Feed Runs

I've done some searching here but have not found this one. I want to have the Windows scheduler start up Calibre, let it run the scheduled new feeds, then shut back down. I found the ebook-convert command line command but I am not sure what to use as parameters. if I use the name of a custom recipe such as ebook-convert recipe1.recipe recipe1.epub, I get a message "Failed to find built in recipe Error Code 1".
What's the best way to have all the scheduled recipes run from the command line?

Thanks!
Eldrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
nchall114
Enthusiast
nchall114 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle for Android
did anyone ever get back to you on this?
nchall114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There are a lot of threads that mention the windows task manager. One is this one:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80846, which is amusing because it is nchall114's thread.

However, if you are talking about command line programs, then you create a .bat (or .cmd) file that does what you want. This thread is probably of interest: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75543
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
nchall114
Enthusiast

actually he wants to know the best way to run it from the command line which is different from my thread you mention which is about invoking the gui via a scheduled task. i also would like to know how to automate news downloads via the command line which is why i asked if anyone ever got back to him.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchall114 View Post
actually he wants to know the best way to run it from the command line which is different from my thread you mention which is about invoking the gui via a scheduled task. i also would like to know how to automate news downloads via the command line which is why i asked if anyone ever got back to him.
In case it's not clear, there are currently only two ways to run recipes. You can start the gui, and let the scheduled recipes run, or you can use ebook-convert to make a book format outside of Calibre's database (and then import it into the database, if needed, with calibredb). The former will do all the normal things that happen with a recipe, like adding tags, sending it via email, etc. The latter is just a method of creating a book and adding that book to the db.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
nchall114
Enthusiast

thanks.

so if you want to duplicate the functionality of the former via the command line you would need to run ebook convert, add it to the db, and then smtp it to your address?

can these three commands be run via one batch file, or should they be run separately?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
they can run in a batch file
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchall114 View Post
thanks.

so if you want to duplicate the functionality of the former via the command line you would need to run ebook convert, add it to the db, and then smtp it to your address?

can these three commands be run via one batch file, or should they be run separately?
Same answer as in the other thread
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
command line, ebook, recipes, scheduled