Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Bookbee
Bookbee began at the beginning.

Device: jasondavis
Hot rumour: Kobo to "untether" other eReaders with new sync

Here's a rumour I have on good authority:

Kobo in North America is rumoured to be about to push out an update to their desktop software that will allow users to sync their Kobo ebooks library to any device running Adobe Digital Editions. The move is expected to flow through to other markets (such as those of us in Australia and New Zealand) that use Kobo software to power their online ebook offerings.

It would effectively "untether" the Sony Reader range from the Sony Reader store, and the Nook from Barnes & Noble. This could be big!

More info at www.bookbee.com.au if you need it.
Bookbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Uh, you can already do that with Adobe Digital Editions. It's not a big deal.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Its not and it is... Its not in the sense that it doesn't provide functionality that wasn't already available somewhere... It is in the sense that it makes it easier for people to use the Kobo bookstore with all their readers that support ADE.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbee View Post
It would effectively "untether" the Sony Reader range from the Sony Reader store, and the Nook from Barnes & Noble. This could be big!
I'm afraid I honestly don't see why this is a big deal. The Sony Reader is not "tethered" to the Sony eBook store and nor is the nook tied to the B&N store; in fact, people who buy Sony Readers outside North America can't use the Sony eBook store at all! You can buy books for both the Sony reader and the nook at any eBook store that sells ePub books.

Can you explain why you believe that this significant?
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Boy, There's no way I am using the piece of crap Kobo desktop instead of Adobe DE.
One of my workmates who bought a Kobo from Borders AU has given up using it since it takes over 1/2 hour to sync his few ebooks he has bought. I told him to use Adobe DE instead as it only takes a few secs and he hasn't looked back.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'd be more interested in being able to load B&N-purchased books on my Kobo ereader. As it is, I can't do that. (Without stripping DRM, which I can't seem to grasp how to do.)
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The only thing I tether my 505 to is Calibre; so I wouldn't regard this as 'hot'

However, although it makes no difference to me any move to make ebooks in general more widely available is IMO a good thing.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Are you referring to an expansion of what was announced on the Kobo blog here ? My read on this was just that you could add non-drm encumbered books into the Kobo library page on the iPAD or iPhone running the Kobo apps.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Wifi, Nexus 7 (2013), Samsung Tab 10.1
I bought something at the Sony ereader store yesterday and loaded it onto my Kobo. No problems. Was there supposed to be? I thought ADE was already the authorization link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Are you referring to an expansion of what was announced on the Kobo blog here ? My read on this was just that you could add non-drm encumbered books into the Kobo library page on the iPAD or iPhone running the Kobo apps.
Yes, I agree: this is only for the mobile environment. I can't add a Gutenberg ePub to my Kobo Library on a PC and punt it to my Kobo.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 09-02-2010 at 03:57 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, adobe, kobo, sony bookstore