Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
epub titles don't work on stanza/iPad

I've got a few dozen home made epub files.
All of them pass epubcheck.
All of them work fine on ibooks.

None of them work in stanza (copied from itunes).

Specifically, in some cases, the front and end parts (copyright notices etc) appear but every other chapter just contain '(null)'. I would guess that it is the chapter size that is the issues. The sections that work are very short and the sections that don't longer. Though the ones that fail can still be as short as 8k - 15k.

In others the fail fails to download saying it can't parse the opf file. No more information than that, I'm afraid!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Can you upload a sample file so we can check it out? Without more information, there's really nothing we can do to help.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Iain
Enthusiast

Almost all the books I've done are in copyright, so I'm not sure what the protocol is (since an uploaded file is visible for all to see!).

I do have a Far from the Madding Crowd which I've just scanned and converted. This is one which fails to download rather than one which fails to read.

However I don't seem to see how to upload it to the forum!

Iain
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post

However I don't seem to see how to upload it to the forum!

Iain
When you write a post, click the "Advanced" button, then the "Manage Attachments" button. This allows you to attach to a post one or more files from your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Iain
Enthusiast

Silly me.
Here's Mr Hardy's famous work
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Silly me.
Here's Mr Hardy's famous work
chapter8 (really Introduction) is large, almost 68K ( if you have a 100k limit )
chapter67 (Notes) is almost as big

Since the "Intro" has roman numeral sections, break just before ii and iii and it should not look too bad.
Sigil can do this

Notes will be tougher.
Use Sigil to scroll down and find a "sweet spot". Sigil will adjust the references.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Iain
Enthusiast

I'm sorry.... There are size limits on each xhtml file? Is that what's causing the problem? What are the limits?

Also, although using sigil to prove a point is fine, in the end I need to know how to do this in code and I'm somewhat restricted by the process - it is automatic from the scanned page to the epub file...

Thanks, though!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm sorry.... There are size limits on each xhtml file? Is that what's causing the problem? What are the limits?

Also, although using sigil to prove a point is fine, in the end I need to know how to do this in code and I'm somewhat restricted by the process - it is automatic from the scanned page to the epub file...

Thanks, though!
Sorry to sound harsh, but that epub just proved why Automatic is only a starting point.

The Stylesheet is a mess : Almost 2000 lines

A fast look, it had dozens of similar styles (all with 3 digit numbers). It looked like there may have been a different "set of classes" for each chapter, even if they were identical to other chapters.

Yes there are limits to file sizes. Someone mentioned the early Sony's had problems with over 100K. Couple this with the huge stylesheet
More modern readers allow more. Calibre defaults at 260K. Kovid must have some insight

Chapter 1 also had a few split-up paragraphs, an easy join with Sigil (and a Macro in my mouse button that adds a space and hits Del 1 or2 times,as preset, in BV)
Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
Iain
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sorry to sound harsh, but that epub just proved why Automatic is only a starting point.

The Stylesheet is a mess : Almost 2000 lines
My problem is that I have 5000 books I'm scanning and converting. I don't have any interest in manual intervention. At least unless absolutely essential. If I had to proof every book I wouldn't bother!

Actually, I agree that not all is perfect and you are right to be harsh. But you should have seen the mess I started with! I'm starting by scanning and using finereader to generate word. That results in about 2000 distinct styles (styles not lines) for a book like this.

Thanks for the pointer on the split paras. I know what causes that and I can fix.

On the size, are you saying the maximum size of the epub is 260k (or so) or the maximum size of a chapter?

Thanks.

Iain
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
My problem is that I have 5000 books I'm scanning and converting. I don't have any interest in manual intervention. At least unless absolutely essential. If I had to proof every book I wouldn't bother!

Actually, I agree that not all is perfect and you are right to be harsh. But you should have seen the mess I started with! I'm starting by scanning and using finereader to generate word. That results in about 2000 distinct styles (styles not lines) for a book like this.

Thanks for the pointer on the split paras. I know what causes that and I can fix.

On the size, are you saying the maximum size of the epub is 260k (or so) or the maximum size of a chapter?

Thanks.

Iain
file (inside epub) . (look at the epub contents with a un-zip program)
It may be a chapter, a whole "Part x", it may require a partial chapter because of what it contains.

Someone can correct me.
at least 4 factors make up that total active size:
the NCX file + file segment +segment called images + stylesheet(s).
It all has to fit in memory.

I split my books on chapters, mostly because I like my chapters to start on a new page (some of these books originally had 20 chapters and just 2 segments). I have books with over 100 splits.

My biggest epub is about 15M (Calibre's Catalog of my Library)