Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Book recommendation: The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Well, this is the first book that I read on my new Kindle and it is *really* good. For anybody who reads quite a lot of the fantasy genre it is just hilarious. it's really a parody on every other fantasy book out there, but it has quite a good story as well. My favorite passage: The two characters are going to play a game of "Welters," the school sport.

Quote:
He did an abrupt about-face.
"Hang on," he said. "Gotta get my quidditch costume. I mean uniform. I mean welters."
"We don't have uniforms."
"I know that," Josh snapped. "I'm drunk, I'm not delusional. I still need my winter coat."

The book parodies everything. The door used to open by saying "friend" in elvish, but not enough of the students had read tolkien. The main character never got out of reading this juvenille series where a group of english characters went to a magical place with an all-powerful guardian who only appeared at the end to send them home (Narnia). And other references. Highly recommended.

Warning though: It seems to be a love/hate split on Amazon.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote