Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #46
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But does your Belkin light automatically tuen if when you fall asleep, like the Kindle light does? That's one of it's niftiest features; the light turns off when the Kindle goes into sleep mode.
I agree this is a very nifty feature, though, truly, to be expected with this kind of device.

That said, it could make me dinner four days a week and I still wouldn't use it. Its primary purpose is to be a light for reading by, and this it does ever so poorly.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #47
Sydney's Mom
I Bleed Cubby Blue
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX and Samsung Tab 2 and Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I will just read with my kindle in the house only for a few weeks til I decide on just which cover to get as there is no way that dude is leaving the house without clothes on.
I agree. The Belkin case is still in preorder. So the K3 is grounded.
Sydney's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #48
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
I ordered the cover with integral light ~ in India we get a lot of sudden power-cuts of a few minutes' duration. If this happens while I'm reading, I'm just going to want a light, without worrying what sort of light it is. I know that during such moments I'll be really glad to have it without the need to hunt for an external light source.
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #49
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Someone on Amazon just posted a review of the non-lighted cover and said it weighed 5.5 ounces. I have heard the lighted cover weighs about 7.8 ounces.
My scale put it at 7.625 oz (216g) so that seems about right. It's just a baking scale, so that seems like it would be within the margin of error.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #50
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 01Hawk View Post
Is this the model you're talking about? It's listed @ $25, where'd ya get it for $10?

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Reading.../dp/B003HKRVAW
That's the one. I got it at Canada Computers here in, you guessed it, Canada. Says $14.99 on the site (which is still loads better than the US Amazon price, what gives?), but it rang up at $9.99, might have been a mistake at the shop.

It's a great light; once I figured out how best to position the head, I found it illuminates the page with a very gentle brightness gradient, top to bottom, and no hotspot. I find the 'low' brightness setting is perfect, but I like that there's a 'high' option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But does your Belkin light automatically tuen if when you fall asleep, like the Kindle light does? That's one of it's niftiest features; the light turns off when the Kindle goes into sleep mode.
I believe you'll find they were equally considerate the other way around, and when your light goes into 'sleep mode' from having drained the Kindle battery, the Kindle will also turn off.

If the batteries on my book light go dead, I'm not sans Kindle until I recharge it -- I can just swap the light's batteries (I always have a ready supply of charged Eneloops) and I'm back on track.* One of the niftiest features of the Kindle, to me, is that I can chuck it in a bag, fully charged, and not worry about it dying, even if I'm away for a few weeks and don't pack the charger. A light that sips or slurps from the device's battery is less than ideal to me. Just personal preference.

* note that this is a hypothetical situation. I'm at roughly 24-25 hours of night use on 'low' and it's still going strong. Although now that I think of it, I may as well charge its batteries while I'm reading at the park this afternoon...
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
That said, it could make me dinner four days a week and I still wouldn't use it. Its primary purpose is to be a light for reading by, and this it does ever so poorly.
One thing I have noticed is that a very, very small change in the angle of the "stalk" of the light makes a significant difference to the illumination of the screen. I wonder if perhaps my light is at a slightly different angle, and hence provides a more even illumination than yours is doing?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #52
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Lightbulb Lovely

Got my lighted cover today and so far as I can tell with the K3 in it weighs about the same or slightly less than a the K2 with the old Amazon cover. It is just as comfortable to hold for long periods. (I read about 200 - 250 pages). In low light the uneven lighting was mildly annoying but not aggravating. I would not want to read with it for hours but for dining out (nothing better than good food, good wine, and a good book) it would be perfectly acceptable. For power outages it would be lovely since it is right there, no searching for that clip on or a flashlight.

Harry's point about slight differences in deployment angle strike me as reasonable, with time I can see that the plastic arm may change. I spent some time flexing the arm and it is clear that the default angle that mine has is sub-optimal and just a slight deflection evened out the lighting across the reading area.

I am very happy with it.

(And, as Harry pointed out, if you fall asleep it goes out by itself. That's something no other light is going to do.)

Last edited by NormHart; 08-30-2010 at 10:26 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #53
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
I ordered the cover with integral light ~ in India we get a lot of sudden power-cuts of a few minutes' duration. If this happens while I'm reading, I'm just going to want a light, without worrying what sort of light it is. I know that during such moments I'll be really glad to have it without the need to hunt for an external light source.
Heh, I think we must have the same utility company here in St. Louis. I've given up trying to keep my Microwave and VCR clock set.

(Also keep lots of little LED flashlights around. Don't weight much and are cheap)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #54
Starstryder
Starstryder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I got my device and cover yesterday and tweaked the light every so slightly, there is a slight angle where it covers the whole screen nicely. A bit darker on the opposing corner but not enough to stress me out. Love this cover, the weight it adds to the Kindle is just right for me. This being my first reading device I was taken aback by its lightness but the cover makes it feel more secure to me.
Starstryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 AM   #55
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Heh, I think we must have the same utility company here in St. Louis. I've given up trying to keep my Microwave and VCR clock set.

(Also keep lots of little LED flashlights around. Don't weight much and are cheap)
Do you really still use a VCR?
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #56
Sonny Blount
Enthusiast
Sonny Blount doesn't litterSonny Blount doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo. iPad, iPhone
I purchased the lighted cover mainly because I can't resist a gimmick and half expected to be wasting my money.

I am so glad I got it. The light is perfect for me, I do most of my reading by bedside lamp and now I much prefer to leave the lamp off and use the kindles light. The cover light is much more reliably even across the page than my bedside lamp. I often fall asleep reading and awake a few hours later to turn my lamp off, it is fantastic to have the kindle light turn off after 10 minutes without a page turn.

Battery life is yet to be an issue for me, I've done 3 nights solid reading with wifi and light on without a charge. Personally, I would not purchase a kindle without it.
Sonny Blount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #57
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
It's so nice not to faff about with a separate clip on light - half the time I'd wonder where I put it, then wondering where to stick it when you're done with it and constant changing of aa batteries. And actually although my clip on light was adjustable, the light coverage was no where near as good as that of my lighted cover - always having this very annoying bright spot in the middle of the screen.

Hubby thought the cover was a real extravagance when I ordered it but, having seen it in action, he's pretty impressed. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat - brilliant invention.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #58
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
It's so nice not to faff about with a separate clip on light - half the time I'd wonder where I put it, then wondering where to stick it when you're done with it and constant changing of aa batteries. And actually although my clip on light was adjustable, the light coverage was no where near as good as that of my lighted cover - always having this very annoying bright spot in the middle of the screen.

Hubby thought the cover was a real extravagance..but, having seen it in action, he's pretty impressed. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat - brilliant invention.
I love Kindle, and I love the cover too. As you say, not having to clip on the light is a great boon. The convenience and ease it gives one is a factor very hard if not impossible to price.
One thing I've noticed while reading is that after it while lose the "I-am-reading" notion and feel as if I'm in a movie, yet it's far more vivid than watching a film because all the scenes and shots are fired by our own imagination...
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #59
stabile007
stabile007 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3
I really really like the amazon cover. The light I am not so sure about. I wonder if I should have just gotten the regular leather cover instead of the fancy shmancy one. it does add considerable thickness but the added weight doesn't bother me.

I have yet to actually have to use the light but having one there seems almost worth it to me since like other points out, I do not need to worry about batteries, or where I put my clip on light. I doubt I will return it as the build quality is quite nice and having the light there if I ever need it seems to be worth it.
stabile007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #60
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I love the lighted cover. It does add bulk but not so much that it becomes uncomfortable. Also, when I feel like it, I just read without the cover. The light is a little uneven but it doesn't bother me at all.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote