Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
MEY
MEY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
DRM

I have not bought a Kindle yet, but I am going to get one. I am confused about DRM. I know you have to change ebooks from a library to read them on a Kindle. What I don't know is do all ebooks from the library have DRM ? If not how do you know if they do ? I apologize if this is a subject that should not be posted or discussed here.
MEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Welcome to the forum MEY!

Library books need to have DRM on to stop you borrowing them forever. If they are public domain, you don't need to go to a library to get them - you can have your own copy for keeps from lots of places (not least MobileRead!)

Kindle doesn't work well with libraries - others can tell you more because I have no library access from here
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
If you want library eBooks and do not want to have to fiddle with DRM, then Kindle is not a good choice, A reader that supports ADE/ePub is your best choice. And to be honest, if you want such, wait until after Sony announces their new readers before you make up your mind.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Buying eBooks from other places

I know it is possible to strip Amazon DRM (I am pretty good at it now) but is it possible to buy an eBook from say, Kobo and convert it to the Amazon format?
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Yes, I get books from Kobo every so often. But you will have to get one which comes in ePub format (some Kobo books are only "web" or "mobile") and strip the DRM before converting it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEY View Post
I have not bought a Kindle yet, but I am going to get one. I am confused about DRM. I know you have to change ebooks from a library to read them on a Kindle. What I don't know is do all ebooks from the library have DRM?
Have you checked with your local library or whatever library that you intend to borrow e-books from to see what e-books they have available?

Many people find that their library doesn't have the books that they're interested in and they're not interested in any of the e-books that the library does have. I would only consider another reader if borrowing e-books from a library is one of your top 3 priorities, maybe the top 1 or 2. There are lots of other reasons to choose a Kindle besides the ability to read library books.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
I Bleed Cubby Blue
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX , IPad and Samsung Tab 2
Most library books come in either pdf or epub format. They need to be in mobi format before you can read them on a kindle, and you need to remove DRM before you can convert. It isn't difficult, but it isn't legal, either.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
You can read pdfs on your Kindle. At least, I've been doing it on mine.

It is a bit slower than mobi, and in my opinion not as nice (at the moment you can't search or highlight or annotate or use dictionary lookup in pdfs and I miss it) but it works. Mobi is definitely nicer, but pdf works, even if my Kindle feels kind of lobotomized without the other functions.

FWIW I often turn my K2 to landscape view so it displays half a page at a time. That solves the "you need little teeny eyes for reading little teeny print" problem nicely.

And supposedly the Kindle 3 will allow within-pdf search (but not searching across many pdfs) plus highlighting, annotation and dictionary lookup in pdfs. If it just allowed cross-pdf search I'd be waiting at my doorstep for a new kindle :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote