Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
How to purge database?

I'm using Calibre for conversion so I'm adding books in one format, converting & removing them, and then adding them again when I need to convert them to a different format. I know I could leave them there, but not all of my books need to be converted to the same formats so I tend to guess at what formats I'll need each book in and sometimes I guess wrong.

Anyway, when I add the book again i get a message about duplicate titles in the database. I tell Calibre to add it anyway because the original book has been removed so my thought is that it'll be exactly what the message says-a duplicate entry in the database. No big deal.

Uh-uh. What I get is a duplicate entry that *produces* the book in the original format. My best guess is that Calibre is taking the book I'm adding & doing some sort of automatic conversion into the original format, then listing it as a different book. Huh? Frankly this doesn't make any sense to me.

It seems to me that the easiest way to fix this is to purge the database before I add the books the second time. This isn't a problem as, when I'm doing this my Calibre Library is empty (except for the Guide which so far I've always left in there, but I can move that to make the library folder truly empty-no problem there). The problem is, how do I purge the database of books I've removed?

Never mind. Did what I should have done first, ran a search to see where those original versions were stored-and found duplicate copies of them in a sub-folder of the folder from which Calibre was adding the converted versions. Not sure how they got there-probably a fumble-fingered drag-n-drop at some time, but Calibre was working correctly after all so you can ignore this question. Thanks.

Last edited by calvin-c; 08-19-2010 at 08:33 PM.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote