Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad, ADE, Kindle
ID changes color?

Strange... I don't know why I never noticed this before, if it just started happening or if it's been happening all along, but whenever I have, say, a subheading for a section of a chapter and give it an ID -- so I can link to it from elsewhere in the book -- then giving it an ID seems to change the colour of the heading. In ADE, it turns it red (the colour I've specified for links -- although I'm not sure if ADE picked red because of that reason, or it just happens to look the same), and in iBooks it turns the heading what looks like dark blue -- which I don't understand at all.

Has anybody else noticed this -- and know what to do about it, so that the headings stay the colour they're supposed to be?
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
Depends on how you define the ID. If you do it by anchors (<a>), then this is to be expected. If you put the id in the header tag, this is strange.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Can you post a sample ePub that shows the color changes?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Psymon could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Depends on how you define the ID. If you do it by anchors (<a>), then this is to be expected. If you put the id in the header tag, this is strange.
Oh, that's it, I did to it with <a> anchors -- I'm so stupid sometimes! It should have occurred to me to just put it in the header tag instead. D'oh...

Excuse me while I go hide under a rock...

(and thank you)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Take a look at the giant list of known ADE CSS quirks (read "bugs") on the Wiki site. This is one of them; it formats every <a> tag like a link even if it has no href.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Thanks!

Although I do wish that the more I did this, the easier it would get -- not harder (and not that this particular thing is "hard", but rather just all the never-ending bugs, etc. that seem to keep popping up all the time). :/

Old 10-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
You know, at some point, it might be worth writing an EPUB checker script that scans EPUB books for any content that is likely to tickle any of the known reader bugs, and provides helpful tips for working around those bugs.

The only real question is whether to write it in C using libxml2 or in something more obscene and unmaintainable, like node.js with jsdom, or Perl with a handwritten XML parser.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote