Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2007, 04:06 AM   #31
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 15
Join Date: Jan 2007
Software updates can only do so much. Judging how iRex is doing right now, they CANNOT compete with SONY. SONY's next Reader will probably kill iRex totally if SONY enters the EU market.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-23-2007 at 04:09 AM.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #32
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 458
Karma: 293
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
Software updates can only do so much. Judging how iRex is doing right now, they CANNOT compete with SONY. SONY's next Reader will probably kill iRex totally if SONY enters the EU market.
One's a consumer product, the other is B2B...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 AM   #33
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 15
Join Date: Jan 2007
Unfortunately such products overlap since they are similar and do the same things. I don't think iRex can survive just doing B2B, they need the mass market. Economics rule at the end of the day. SONY will crush iRex if they enter the EU market. The companies that will survive will most likely be big corporations like SONY. Just look at previous ebook reader companies that went under, they were small corporations.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-23-2007 at 04:33 AM.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #34
-RenE-
Member
-RenE- began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 17
Karma: 25
Join Date: Jan 2007
Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
Unfortunately such products overlap since they are similar and do the same things. I don't think iRex can survive just doing B2B, they need the mass market. Economics rule at the end of the day. SONY will crush iRex if they enter the EU market. The companies that will survive will most likely be big corporations like SONY. Just look at previous ebook reader companies that went under, they were small corporations.
I don't think the Sony will crush the EU market as there is a lot of resistance to DRM. Sony has a very bad name regarding open formats and interoperability. In addition, the Sony isn't suitable for reading A4-documents, which most magazines, newspapers and documents on the web are. It is meant for books only.
-RenE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #35
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 15
Join Date: Jan 2007
The DRM is just an addition, it can read other formats. Right now SONY has a small screen but if the next Reader is 8-10', say bye-bye to iRex.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 AM   #36
-RenE-
Member
-RenE- began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 17
Karma: 25
Join Date: Jan 2007
Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
The DRM is just an addition, it can read other formats. Right now SONY has a small screen but if the next Reader is 8-10', say bye-bye to iRex.
You could be right, but frankly I don't care. I need a working device that allows met to read A4-paper without much problems and I need it now. The Iliad is the only device that allows me to do this. So, for me, the Iliad is is the best choice.

What would be your choice when the Iliad and Sony would be the same price?

I think the Iliad offers a lot of advantages compared to the Sony. It is just a matter if these advantages are important to you.
-RenE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #37
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 15
Join Date: Jan 2007
SONY simply because it's lower risk, great tech support and warranty and the company will be around for a long time. However if iRex iLiad becomes Philips iLiad, the I'll have to scrutinize a little bit, comparing each one's features, read reviews from popular websites. That's why i hope Philips will buy iRex soon, the tiny company can't compete with SONY. BTW, don't forget Jinke will be releasing a 8' and 10' Hanlin ebook end of this year. I'll rather get Jinke's 10' than iLiad's 8' and I bet the price will be the same.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-23-2007 at 06:03 AM.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 AM   #38
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 458
Karma: 293
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
SONY simply because it's lower risk, great tech support and warranty and the company will be around for a long time. However if iRex iLiad becomes Philips iLiad, the I'll have to scrutinize a little bit, comparing each one's features, read reviews from popular websites. That's why i hope Philips will buy iRex soon, the tiny company can't compete with SONY. BTW, don't forget Jinke will be releasing a 8' and 10' Hanlin ebook end of this year. I'll rather get Jinke's 10' than iLiad's 8' and I bet the price will be the same.
Personally I see the Sony as a higher risk... What happens to the DRM'd content if Sony decides to switch to a new format, or pull the plug...? (If you think thats impossible, look at Microsoft and their recent change in DRM'd formats)

"great tech support"... Dunno if you noticed but Irex have a forum where they respond to issues and even take on board suggestions. They interact on mobileread.com.

And you do know the relationship between Phillips and Irex...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #39
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 458
Karma: 293
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RenE-
What would be your choice when the Iliad and Sony would be the same price?
Thats a no-brainer with all the extra functionality the Iliad has...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RenE-
I think the Iliad offers a lot of advantages compared to the Sony. It is just a matter if these advantages are important to you.
Exactly...! No point buying a device unless it does what you require it to do...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #40
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 15
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Personally I see the Sony as a higher risk... What happens to the DRM'd content if Sony decides to switch to a new format, or pull the plug...? (If you think thats impossible, look at Microsoft and their recent change in DRM'd formats)

"great tech support"... Dunno if you noticed but Irex have a forum where they respond to issues and even take on board suggestions. They interact on mobileread.com.

And you do know the relationship between Phillips and Irex...?

Again DRM is an additional feature, it does not ONLY read DRM files. If they pull the plug or change to a new format, then SONY essentially becomes an iLiad with less features. Besides SONY can provide a firmware upgrade so it can read the new format. I know iRex is a spin-off from Philips but it's still a separate company with different bosses. Bottom line Philips doesn't support iRex products. I want Philips to buy iRex so iLiad will have as good of a warranty as SONY and it'll have a local presence in the USA. My main beef with iRex is the lousy warranty support and being outside the USA. SONY has great service plans.


Wait till something bad happens to your iLiad and you have to send it back for repair. The bills will start piling up, just take a look at scotty1024's experience. I wish you good luck though.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-23-2007 at 06:35 AM.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #41
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 15
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Thats a no-brainer with all the extra functionality the Iliad has...!



Exactly...! No point buying a device unless it does what you require it to do...!

I think I have clarify that If we're talking about the 6' SONY and the 8' iLiad and the price is the same, of course I'll choose the iLiad BUT if it's a future 8' SONY and a 8' iLiad, I'll go for the SONY.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #42
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 458
Karma: 293
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
Wait till something bad happens to your iLiad and you have to send it back for repair. The bills will start piling up, just take a look at scotty1024's experience. I wish you good luck though.
You seem very determined in your opinion that the device is unreliable and made of taffy papers and string... But when my 6-month old Iliad kicks the bucket I'll be sure to tell you.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #43
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 32
Karma: 15
Join Date: Jan 2007
Just got my SONY Reader today, took less than 24 hours to arrive using express shipping. I'm satisfied with it, considering my other option was the $700 iLiad. Screen is small though, so reading PDF is not easy on the eyes. Luckily there's the SONY Connect store or I would have return this item, I can use this Reader and read new ebook releases. Like iPod needs iTunes, SONY Reader needs SONY Connect. jęd is right, if SONY pulls the plug on SONY Connect, the SONY Reader will lose much of its value unless there are other ebook online store selling new release titles whose format is compatible with SONY Reader which I don't know of any. I'm contemplating of getting the iLiad too to read PDF but I think I'll just wait for Jinke Hanlin V9 10', I can read magazines on a 10' screen.

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-23-2007 at 07:23 PM.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #44
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
NatCh's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,605
Karma: 926222
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Republic of Texas Embassy at Jackson, TN
Device: Nook STGR
Congrats on your new toy, rsuryase!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuryase
...unless there are other ebook online store selling new release titles whose format is compatible with SONY Reader which I don't know of any.
If you like SciFi (particularly MilSciFi, though they have other sub-genres too), there's Baen Publishing's Webscriptions.net. They sell in several formats, including RTF, which works nicely with the Reader -- just bump up the font size, and you're good to go -- the prices are quite reasonable (except for one glaring exception which is a casualty of trying to get Tor Publishing to come out to play), and very bestest of all: no DRM whatsoever.

Other than them, I don't know of any others either.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #45
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
RWood's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,233
Karma: 1601464
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Device: Sony PRS-500
Then there's the Silk Pagoda offering of 10,000 books in Sony format (sized PDFs.) Reading all of them should take me to the end of the battery life on the Reader assuming that I don't pick up a few others along the way.

Quote:
-RenE-
What would be your choice when the Iliad and Sony would be the same price?
Not a valaid question. The Iliad is currently over twice the price of the Sony. The converse would be, "If they kept their current price levels and the features were identical...."
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot buy Irex DR 1000s feelfine iRex 1 05-25-2010 04:54 PM
Which one should I buy: Irex DR 800SG vs. Kindle DXi ? Dr. Drib Which one should I buy? 4 05-10-2010 11:18 PM
Why do most people buy the iRex DR 1000S? RainDog2 Which one should I buy? 12 05-07-2009 06:50 PM
I am going to buy the iliad from irex in a moment but... JackieFrost iRex 13 07-12-2008 02:10 AM
Should I buy the regular irex or the book edition? pathfinderca Which one should I buy? 5 05-16-2008 03:16 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.