Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
PDAToday
PDAToday began at the beginning.

Device: Nook and Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Don't understand this obsession and whining about charging an e-reader. If it needs charged, then charge it. Plug it in when you go to sleep and unplug it when you wake up or charge it when you charge your phone or something.
Coming from a Sony 505 it seems very short indeed. Even after the 505 being two years old I could get a couple of week out of it as oposed to almost a month when it was new.

Being able to pick up my Sony randomly and read it with out having to panic about charge state was a nice feature. I just left it in my laptop bag for weeks.

3 to 4 days is not a big deal once you get used to it I guess, however the first couple of times I went to pick up my Nook to continue reading and it was out of charge I was very irratated.

Maybe they can improve this with software or a future Nook 2.

--bill
PDAToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #32
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I love my nook and adore screen compared to my Sony 505, however I do have issues with battery life. I believe I would be fine with it if I had started on the nook, but since I started on the 500 and later 505, I see where it is seriously lacking. I'm thinking of passing down my nook to my mom or fiancée since the new Kindle looks awesome, but I'm waiting for B&N's reply and see how the new nook works out.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #33
Rather Dashing
Rather Dashing began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Anyone having issues with battery life should definitely tweak their settings. Things like wireless settings, LCD brightness, how long the LCD remains on when not touched, etc; can greatly effect the battery life of the device. Turning off wireless is the #1 thing, though. Would be nice if I could set my nook just to do a periodic check for new content every morning when my newspaper came in though.
Rather Dashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #34
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Dashing View Post
Anyone having issues with battery life should definitely tweak their settings. Things like wireless settings, LCD brightness, how long the LCD remains on when not touched, etc; can greatly effect the battery life of the device. Turning off wireless is the #1 thing, though. Would be nice if I could set my nook just to do a periodic check for new content every morning when my newspaper came in though.
I'm a bit confused about the wifi. There's an icon that shows up when it's active. However most of the time, when I'm not using the internet the icon isn't there. Is it still important to put the device in airplane mode to save battery?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #35
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I'm a bit confused about the wifi. There's an icon that shows up when it's active. However most of the time, when I'm not using the internet the icon isn't there. Is it still important to put the device in airplane mode to save battery?
No. The NOOK automatically shuts off wireless when it knows it won't need it. The Airplane Mode is to keep NOOK from turning wireless back on, notably while passing through the "home" screen (the one with the colored buttons for The Daily, etc.).
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #36
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
No. The NOOK automatically shuts off wireless when it knows it won't need it. The Airplane Mode is to keep NOOK from turning wireless back on, notably while passing through the "home" screen (the one with the colored buttons for The Daily, etc.).
So last night, I bought a book from B&N and didn't see it immediately appear on my Nook. I went in, turned on the wifi (I wasn't previously in airplane mode) and it synced. How long would I have had to wait for the Nook to grab the book on its own?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #37
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I agree with PDAToday that coming from a non-nook ereader, the battery life can be an issue. It was great when I got my PPro for Christmas, took off on a 9-day outing to Hawaii, and was able to read without worrying about battery life. It was great being able to go to scout camp with my ereader instead of a stack of books (An adult leader in a well-run and well-behaved troop has lots of relaxation time, although I did have to take time out to go take pictures). It would have been great taking off on a 9-day camping trip to Yosemite if I hadn't somehow managed to break the screen on the second day.

Hawaii, lots of outlets around to charge. Scout camp and Yosemite, not so much. So, long battery life is nice to have.

On the other hand, I bought my wife an iPad which appears to have to be charged a bit more often than the nook. While she doesn't read nearly as much as I, normally, she also uses mail and web access a lot, and we managed to keep it charged while at Yosemite. Its just nicer not to have to search for an outlet and possible have to wait for someone to finish charging their video camera (like me).

But on the other hand, the iPad doesn't have access to library books, and the nook does. So for my wife, the nook could be an option and she would be tickled with the improved battery life. And then her iPad would last longer cuz she'd only be using it for email and web access.

Just thot I'd toss in a little bit of a positive view, even tho I don't own one. Yet.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #38
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I tried both and didn't see too big of a difference. As I had observed earlier, for my unit, it seemed a big portion of the power consumption is on the background application (4% per hour) vs. turning the pages (2% per hour).
I would guess that having the touchscreen enabled to allow page turning, even if one is not using it for page turns, probably means it burns the battery at about the same rate regardless of whether it is used -- I would guess that resistive touch screens might be better at this. It might be nice if the firmware included a setting that allowed you to turn the touch screen off completely (call it power miser mode or whatever ).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #39
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I would guess that having the touchscreen enabled to allow page turning, even if one is not using it for page turns, probably means it burns the battery at about the same rate regardless of whether it is used -- I would guess that resistive touch screens might be better at this. It might be nice if the firmware included a setting that allowed you to turn the touch screen off completely (call it power miser mode or whatever ).

--
Bill

That is exactly my thought. I am hoping B&N can come up with a firmware option to shut down the touch screen entirely or it can be a good project for the Nookdevs.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #40
Budlyte
Budlyte began at the beginning.

I agree that charging is not a big deal. What is to me is when I finish reading, never get warned about battery life then the next try to turn on my nook and get nothing. I run in air plane mode but still find the nook dead periodically. Any ideas to prevent this short of charging every night would be helpful
Budlyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #41
gidgiddonihah
gidgiddonihah began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
nearer 1000 page turns than 8000
or 8 hours continuous use, although some claim 12 hours.
I did a car trip (Wasnt driving ) that lasted about 10 hours. My battery still had enough charge for several days afterward, and i had used it before. And I consider myself a fast reader, i cant really tell you how long it takes me to read a book since i read inconsitantly with school. Don't get me wrong, i agree that the nook better have a better battery life .

Settings:

Minimum Touchscreen Brightness
10 Sec Touchscreen Dim
20 Min for Sleep
gidgiddonihah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #42
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budlyte View Post
I agree that charging is not a big deal. What is to me is when I finish reading, never get warned about battery life then the next try to turn on my nook and get nothing. I run in air plane mode but still find the nook dead periodically. Any ideas to prevent this short of charging every night would be helpful
Yep
Mine can go from full to empty overnight, same as you.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #43
gidgiddonihah
gidgiddonihah began at the beginning.

The nook comes with a Lithium Ion battery. These batteries are notorious for being picky. You need to make sure that you 'Conditioned' the battery. This means that you had to charge it up full before you EVER used it, then kill it till it turns off on you. Then charge it ALL THE WAY BACK UP, kill it and charge it all the way about 6 times, and you will have a 'conditioned' battery. It should last WAY longer. I had the same issues until about the 5th or 6th time.

Hope that helps some of those who are having issues with battery life .
gidgiddonihah is offline   Reply With Quote