Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dixieknits's Avatar
 
Posts: 260
Karma: 1008124
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Augen SD Card/USB Cable/Icons

Some things I've consistantly encountered with my Augen and SD Card. I MUST use a duel ended USB cable when the SD card is in use for either of my computers to recognize Augen's U-Drive and SD card. If I remove the SD card, the singled ended cable supplied will work fine. It seems it does not carry enough juice when the the SD card is in use.
Another thing I've found is that if I tranfer data through the cable to the Udrive or the SD card, it will be seen immediately. If I add books to the SD card from computer's SD reader/writer slot, then insert it, I must power off the Augen with the power off utility and then power it up from the switch in order for those books/folders to be seen.
Another silly error I"ve found is that the folder icons in the software are pictured as books and the books are pictured as folders. They got it backwards. Hopefully that can be corrected in a firmware update..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough
 
kilohertz53's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 671
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harwichport, MA
Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
I also find the books-as-folders and folders-as-books icons mildly annoying, but I haven't experienced any trouble with the SD card. I installed it on day one, and only removed it when I did the "unofficial update" for those first K-Mart e-readers. I haven't tried hot-swapping an SD card while the Augen was powered on. It's interesting that the changes aren't seen without cycling the power.

I never unwrapped the Augen-supplied USB cable because I already had a few of them lying around from my Sony Reader, my digital camera, and a couple of mp3 players. I wonder if it's any "different" from those. (I love standard cables. They make life easier.)
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dixieknits's Avatar
 
Posts: 260
Karma: 1008124
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Maybe it's my SD card? or earlier version of firmware. Can you go into your settings and see which version you are running now?
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough
 
kilohertz53's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 671
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harwichport, MA
Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
For what it's worth, here's the current information from the "System Info" menu item:

System: 2010-07-20
Kernel: #1124 PREEMPT
Mon May 31
13:09:45 CST 2010
S/N H02703131
MAC:

ADOBE READER
Version: 9.1.28890
2010. Contains technology by
Adobe Systems Incorporated


I regret that I didn't write down the pre-update System Info. I know the Adobe version changed (it was the main point of the update), but I'm not sure about anything else that may be different. As you may have read elsewhere, the "update" screwed up the accelerometer, which now rotates opposite of the way it should. No news from Augen so far about fixing that little oops.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.ebsebs is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.
 
Posts: 92
Karma: 41782
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
I haven't applied the update. My System Info screen says:

System: EBOOK2010-06-22
Kernel: #1124 PREEMPT Mon
May 31 13:09:45 CST
2010
MAC:


Earlier date for the System, same Kernel, no serial number and no Adobe Reader info.
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
RadioMan52
Member
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
For what it's worth, here's the current information from the "System Info" menu item:

System: 2010-07-20
Kernel: #1124 PREEMPT
Mon May 31
13:09:45 CST 2010
S/N H02703131
MAC:

ADOBE READER
Version: 9.1.28890
2010. Contains technology by
Adobe Systems Incorporated


I regret that I didn't write down the pre-update System Info. I know the Adobe version changed (it was the main point of the update), but I'm not sure about anything else that may be different. As you may have read elsewhere, the "update" screwed up the accelerometer, which now rotates opposite of the way it should. No news from Augen so far about fixing that little oops.

I checked my unit and it is one of the K-Mart "returns" and it is:
System: EBOOK2010-06-22
Kernel: #1124 PREEMPT Mon
May 31 13:09:45 CST
2010
MAC:

Went to K-Mart and checked a few "returns" and they are all the same.
I guess I will have to try the update, any way that you can back up the existing?
Talking about a company shooting themselves in the foot! Augent looks like it is trying very hard for that award.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dixieknits's Avatar
 
Posts: 260
Karma: 1008124
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Mine says...... System: EBOOK2010-06-22
Kernel: #1124 PREEMPT Mon
May 31 13:09:45 CST
2010
MAC

I gather mine is one of the early versions also, however it all seems to be working well as long as I use a double ended USB cable to transfer data. Luckily one came with my JB; I had never heard of using them before. I might pick up a different brand of SD card and see if that changes.
What is in the upgrade? I might just wait until I hear it's a bit more stable. I don't use Adobe DRM so I don't care much about that. I would like epubs not to break up into partial sentences unless the screen is rotated.
I think Augen needs to be in touch with it's users...If they want to keep marketing these things, we need some feedback..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough
 
kilohertz53's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 671
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harwichport, MA
Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
The "update" is only worthwhile if you need to deal with DRM'ed epub files from online e-bookstores or the public library.

The update package is kind of interesting, though, in showing how changes can be made to the firmware. By holding the ALT key down while pressing the "ON" button on the TB, the TB become a USB bootable device. The first part of the update process is to install a windows driver that shows up in Device Manager as an Ingenics USB bootable device. Then you run a batch file that passes parameters to an executable file called USB_Boot.exe. This apparently loads a bunch of large binary files with names like root.upg, kernel.upg, bootloader.upg, and system.upg. After it's all done, you press the reset button on the back to get the TB back into normal mode. I think this will be the template for all future updates.

If my computer's BIOS allowed booting from USB devices, I'd be tempted to try letting the computer boot from the TB. Would I then see the underlying linux file system ?
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
RadioMan52
Member
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
The "update" is only worthwhile if you need to deal with DRM'ed epub files from online e-bookstores or the public library.

The update package is kind of interesting, though, in showing how changes can be made to the firmware. By holding the ALT key down while pressing the "ON" button on the TB, the TB become a USB bootable device. The first part of the update process is to install a windows driver that shows up in Device Manager as an Ingenics USB bootable device. Then you run a batch file that passes parameters to an executable file called USB_Boot.exe. This apparently loads a bunch of large binary files with names like root.upg, kernel.upg, bootloader.upg, and system.upg. After it's all done, you press the reset button on the back to get the TB back into normal mode. I think this will be the template for all future updates.

If my computer's BIOS allowed booting from USB devices, I'd be tempted to try letting the computer boot from the TB. Would I then see the underlying linux file system ?
kilohertz53,
I agree with you that this will most likely will be the new upgrade path using the built in USB host "server" functionality.
Had a look at the "built in" upgrade method using the SD card to supply the traditional "bin" type file it is a bit "squirrelly" to say the least especially if the customer has to transfer the bin file from a zip/rar and then to a SD card.
The USB method has many check points before committal avoiding bricking.
It is still interesting that Augen's web site has no trace of the unofficial upgrade to date.
Talked to the K-Mart manager and he are indicating that as per HQ all Augen the Book returns are to be sent back to home base for return to factory.
If any one will be interested be on the lookout for "refurbished" TB to start showing up at site like geeks.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 48
Karma: 42
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern New York
Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
SD card / USB issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Some things I've consistantly encountered with my Augen and SD Card. I MUST use a duel ended USB cable when the SD card is in use for either of my computers to recognize Augen's U-Drive and SD card. If I remove the SD card, the singled ended cable supplied will work fine. It seems it does not carry enough juice when the the SD card is in use.
Another thing I've found is that if I tranfer data through the cable to the Udrive or the SD card, it will be seen immediately. If I add books to the SD card from computer's SD reader/writer slot, then insert it, I must power off the Augen with the power off utility and then power it up from the switch in order for those books/folders to be seen.
Another silly error I"ve found is that the folder icons in the software are pictured as books and the books are pictured as folders. They got it backwards. Hopefully that can be corrected in a firmware update..
Hi dixieknits (I keep typing your name as dixieknots - sorry if that ever slips through)

I have not had to use a double ended USB cord to transfer to the SD card. I also have been able to use other generic USB cords to do that. A question for you - on a computer, there are usually some powered USB ports, and some that are not. If you can figure out which on your computer is powered, a single end cord may be fine there, although I have not been using my powered port.

I think the folder / book mismatch is silly but trivial- I didn't even list it as a con in the list I am making for a review.

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 48
Karma: 42
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern New York
Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMan52 View Post
kilohertz53,
I agree with you that this will most likely will be the new upgrade path using the built in USB host "server" functionality.
Had a look at the "built in" upgrade method using the SD card to supply the traditional "bin" type file it is a bit "squirrelly" to say the least especially if the customer has to transfer the bin file from a zip/rar and then to a SD card.
The USB method has many check points before committal avoiding bricking.
It is still interesting that Augen's web site has no trace of the unofficial upgrade to date.
Talked to the K-Mart manager and he are indicating that as per HQ all Augen the Book returns are to be sent back to home base for return to factory.
If any one will be interested be on the lookout for "refurbished" TB to start showing up at site like geeks.
I am not updating my firmware at this point- I am dyslexic, and two lefts is likely to cause brain collapse

I think a firmware update in the first month is actually fairly responsive- although I agree with someone's comment we are being used as beta testers.

If I see TB sold refurbished or half price anywhere, I will pick up copies for relatives- they want a basic ereader, and this is fine

I think Augen may have jumped the gun a little releasing this- but I also think they do not have a primarily English speaking team interacting with people. Given that, some of what is going on can be understood- if not appreciated.

I would really hate to see this one fade away.
Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 252
Karma: 2383254
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Silly Suggestion?

Hi dixieknits, et al,

I read these posts on The Book with interest. A few weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a couple online from K-Mart. This proved quite a difficult process (order placed, waiting... waiting.. order may be cancelled says KM, but their customer service people couldn't clarify when I called because their system is "so automated", etc), but they are now on their way to USUnlocked and will be in my hands in 10 days or so.

But back to your SD card. Prior to trying a new card, perhaps you could try reformatting it, if you haven't already, and perhaps using a different file system to that which you currently have - if it is formatted to FAT32, try NTFS or vice-versa? I'd also be inclined to try a Linux format if you can.

The patch is an interesting one, for it is marked as "unofficial announcement" on the Augen forum and perhaps this is why it is not up on the Augen website, despite an assurance it would be. In any event, the screwing-up of the auto rotate should have been fixed almost immediately.

Has anyone actually rung the head office - not the support number and gotten hold of one of the company Heads to talk to them? I'd happily do that once I get my TBs.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dixieknits's Avatar
 
Posts: 260
Karma: 1008124
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I formatted it as NTFS , I think it had been FAT 16 to upgrade my Jetbook.
It is being read now with a standard USB cable. Thanks for the tip.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough
 
kilohertz53's Avatar
 
Posts: 141
Karma: 671
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harwichport, MA
Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
The patch is an interesting one, for it is marked as "unofficial announcement" on the Augen forum and perhaps this is why it is not up on the Augen website, despite an assurance it would be. In any event, the screwing-up of the auto rotate should have been fixed almost immediately.

Has anyone actually rung the head office - not the support number and gotten hold of one of the company Heads to talk to them? I'd happily do that once I get my TBs.
I've got a couple of open service requests in on the Augen Customer Support site. If I don't get a satisfactory answer within the next few days about when I might expect to see an update to the update to fix the accelerometer, I'll probably fax and/or snail-mail a polite but firm complaint letter to the CEO of Augen Electronics. For any TB owner's reference files, that would be:

Gary Gofman, CEO
Augen Electronics Corp.
250 N. Dixie Highway
Suite 13
Hollywood, FL 33020

Tech Support: 877-284-3665
Corporate Office: 954-929-4446
Fax: 954-929-9194

Personally, I don't like to read in landscape mode, but the unofficial update turned what was supposed to be a "feature" into a very annoying "bug".
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dixieknits's Avatar
 
Posts: 260
Karma: 1008124
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Gee, you are tempting me to hop in my car and drive over and camp in their office until someone pays attention. I'm probably one of the closest to their address, however sometimes they are not "real" locations and I would hate to drive 3-1/2 hours to met by an office with an answering machine..
Am editing to add, made an error, I just another poster ifrom Miami. I'm in south Tampa area. I think sooner or later when they have an answer, they will notify us..

Last edited by dixieknits; 08-15-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: error made, adding data
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
augen

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
will this work with K3 usb cable? TenaciousBadger Amazon Kindle 34 09-05-2010 03:59 PM
Augen TB SD card problems rscudder More E-Book Readers 5 08-26-2010 12:11 PM
PRS-300 Very useful USB/power cable chaley Sony Reader 11 02-20-2010 09:19 PM
A better usb cable? sarikan iRex 4 10-24-2008 01:07 PM
wear and tear, sd card or usb cable jakeluck Sony Reader 5 11-26-2006 11:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.