Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
zzmijarevic
zzmijarevic began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Books with multiple files of a particular format

Hi!

I predominately use Calibre for Library Management. Therefore, I have situations where I would like Calibre to handle more than one file of a particular format. For example, I would like to have the ability to store two PDF-s for the same book - one low res version for web/reader and another hi res version for print.

Apart from changing the extension, is there a workaround?

Is there a reason for allowing only one file per format per book?

Thumbs up for Calibre

p.s. I apologize if this question has been answered in some other thread.
zzmijarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Put one of them in a zip file and attach the zip file?

Have 2 separate "book" entries with separate titles. ie. "Book 1 - Low Res" and "Book 1 - Hi Res".

I have a couple of copies of Jane Austen books like Pride and Prejudice so I just have multiple entries. I have 1 that is for a copy from here at MobileRead and then I have another book that was from the B&N Classics series freebies.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
You can import two pdfs, epubs or whatever with the same title. When you import (both at the same time) it imports them, and then asks if you want to keep them both even if it's the same title.
I had the problem with a pdf which consisting of 12 pdfs, all with the same title as it was chapters in the book. Calibre imported them, then asked if I wanted to import them even if they have the same title. I clicked yes, and they're all there now.

After that, I "catalogued" them, and also swapped title for "author" (as the author metadata had the chapter numbers).
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Put one of them in a zip file and attach the zip file?
I prefer to use .rar format, as .zip format is more often used for html.

Quote:
Have 2 separate "book" entries with separate titles. ie. "Book 1 - Low Res" and "Book 1 - Hi Res".
I often do it this way, too.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree on the solution of simply renaming them to include that little bit of info. That seems like the best and easiest way around the problem.
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
You can import two pdfs, epubs or whatever with the same title. When you import (both at the same time) it imports them, and then asks if you want to keep them both even if it's the same title.
Be aware that if you have the autosorting option on ("If books with similar ...") you won't get this question when the title and author both match. It's off by default, but I normally leave it on. If you intend to add multiple books with the same author and title, you should check that it's off.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
zzmijarevic
zzmijarevic began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
eh...there was a thread dealing with this issue...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89525
just shows the limitations of the forum's "search" capabilities

Anyway, thanks for your answers!

BTW, I believe that multiple entries for the same book should be avoided because they eventually increase the effort needed for maintaining metadata.
zzmijarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
AGB
Headbutting stupidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Be aware that if you have the autosorting option on ("If books with similar ...") you won't get this question when the title and author both match. It's off by default, but I normally leave it on. If you intend to add multiple books with the same author and title, you should check that it's off.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning
FYI, it will give give you a slightly misleading notice in that situation (adding multiple books of same format/author/title with the option on). It will say it found a similar book and added the new book into the existing record, but in reality, when it went to add, it would have determined that the format it was trying to add was already in the existing record, so it would have skipped adding the new book.