Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast
DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite
New Paperwhite questions

Just got my first ebook reader. Kindle paperwhite 2.

Regarding the shadow issues, it was supposedly on version 1.
With light on imine has some shadows on the bottom. It is small and faint. almost like blue finger smudge marks.

Mine is without special orders but there is some advertisement for a few books on the lower home page?
DaveCanRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCanRead View Post

Mine is without special orders but there is some advertisement for a few books on the lower home page?
You can easily turn those off if you want to....the option is buried in the settings menu, so you just need to look around a bit.

The lighting effect you are seeing sounds typical.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 10-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

With light on imine has some shadows on the bottom. It is small and faint. almost like blue finger smudge marks.

The screen is lit by 4 lights at the bottom of the screen. The dispersal is very good, but not perfect. If you look for the shadows, you will find them.

What brightness do you have the Kindle on? If you have it on a high brightness in a dark room, you will be more likely to notice the shadows. In a dark room, it's better to use a much lower brightness, and the shadows shouldn't be very noticeable, if at all. I generally prefer anywhere between 3 and 7 in a very dark room.

You can change the settings to remove those "ads."

From the home screen: Settings-> Device Options -> Personalize Your Kindle -> Recommended Content = OFF
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
DaveCanRead
Enthusiast
DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveCanRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite
I have it set to 7, below that I can't read to well, but that may change with time.
If I set it to 19 or so the shadows disappear but thats to bright for my eyes.

Overall I am very happy with the device. I want to take care of any issues since I just got it yesterday.

Wasn't sure if those suggestions had to do with special offers. Did not want to remove that option from my account to test it.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
DaveCanRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I have it set to 7, below that I can't read to well, but that may change with time.
If I set it to 19 or so the shadows disappear but thats to bright for my eyes.

19 is too high in a dark room. 7 is better. It's about where I start when I go go bed. As time goes on, I might lower it a bit. The lower you go, the less the shadowing should be.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

I hope you enjoy your new PaperWhite. It's a good reader. I have a PW1 that is now a few yrs old and it's still working great. They hold up well.
crich70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
shalym
Guru
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, Voyage, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
19 is too high in a dark room. 7 is better. It's about where I start when I go go bed. As time goes on, I might lower it a bit. The lower you go, the less the shadowing should be.
Too high for you, maybe. If I put my light on 7, I can't read the text in a dark room, no matter how much time goes by.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; iPad air; Kindle PW2; Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Too high for you, maybe. If I put my light on 7, I can't read the text in a dark room, no matter how much time goes by.

Shari
Same here--I usually have my paperwhite set at 11 for comfortable reading in a dark room. I figure there is variances in lighting levels of paperwhites and also all of us have different vision.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
The shadows are typical of the frontlight Amazon uses on the PW1 & PW2.

From the photos I have seen of the Voyage, the frontlight is a lot better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
shalym
Guru
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, Voyage, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The shadows are typical of the frontlight Amazon uses on the PW1 & PW2.

From the photos I have seen of the Voyage, the frontlight is a lot better.
I'm not sure about the Voyage, but I have the PW1 and 2, Aura HD and Onyx T68 and they all have those shadows at the bottom of the screen.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Kimber
Kimber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm not sure about the Voyage, but I have the PW1 and 2, Aura HD and Onyx T68 and they all have those shadows at the bottom of the screen.

Shari
I know this is an older thread, but I came across it as I was researching the shadowing issue.

I have both the Voyage and the Paperwhite. My Voyage has no shadows at the bottom of the screen, but my Paperwhite does. I even exchanged the Paperwhite for another one, and it too has shadows. Not enough to affect reading, but definitely enough to notice. I usually set my frontlight between 12-14, but I can still see the shadowing at higher and lower light levels.

Kimber

Last edited by Kimber; 05-02-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
barryem
Zealot
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
I have all three, Paperwhites 1 and 2 and a Voyage. I have to work pretty hard to find shadows on the Voyage. If I remember correctly I was able to see them with the light too high in a dark room. I never read in dark rooms normally so I'm not sure I remember that right.

The Paperwhite 1 has fairly distinct shadows along the bottom but to be fair I never noticed they were there until I read posts complaining about them from forum members in here. It's only in the lower margin well below the text.

They're improved in the Paperwhite 2. You can still see them but they're pretty faint.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote