|08-07-2010, 02:32 PM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Device: Sony Reader 505
A few Kindle questions from a Sony 505 owner
Hi all, I am considering buying the new K3 but have a few questions.
1. Will any sony 505 books work on the K3
2.What are the two versions, i mean in wha instance would i ned the 3g./ cant i download books just with wifi
3. can you buy other items on the Amazon website from the Kindle
4. can you access yahoo mail etc?
|08-07-2010, 02:47 PM||#2|
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Device: Kindle DX
1. Yes and No. You need to remove the DRM and convert the books into mobi format... then the books will work. If you cant then the books will not work since the Kindle does not support the ePub format.
2. The 3G is nice since you will only need a cellular signal to be able to purchase and download books and not have to wait until you are near a wifi hotspot. You can buy a book while traveling should you want to and not have to depend on a computer or wifi signal. I am not 100% sure of the coverage on your side of the pond...
3 and 4. I have not tried it but I dont see why not. The kindle has a basic (and I mean basic) web browser that you can use to access gmail, yahoo, and basic web surfing...
|08-07-2010, 02:56 PM||#3|
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Snowpacolypse 2010
Device: Amazon K4, Fire, Droid 2
3. yes, I have purchased other items on Amazon via my Kindle but I had to log into my account.
4. yes, you can access web mail. I've used it more than once when I was in hotels with poor wifi. It's slow and very basic but works.
|08-07-2010, 03:31 PM||#4|
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
The Kindle 3 has a new WebKit-based browser. Many devices use browsers based on WebKit (wiki: WebKit Usage) and it is likely to be compatible with significantly more web sites than the K2's browser.
|08-07-2010, 04:23 PM||#5|
Join Date: Oct 2009
Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
Is 3G web browsing officially supported in the UK? It isn't over here in Germany: While many users report that it works for them, others (including me ) only get the "3G browsing unsupported in your country" message.
|08-07-2010, 04:33 PM||#6|
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: Sony Prs-650, KK3G, KPW1, Kobo Aura, Ipad Air, Nook HD, IPhone 5
In answer to question 1 about your existing books, if they were bought from the Sony Store then yes they will have DRM which will need stripping out before they can be converted to mobi format for the Kindle.
If they don't have DRM (i.e were bought from somewhere else, or obtaining freely off the internet) then you can convert them to mobi format using Calibre, and the mobi format can then be loaded on the Kindle.
I am a Sony owner and this is what I have done.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|New Kindle 2 owner with some email@example.com||Introduce Yourself||1||12-10-2009 12:43 PM|
|New Sony PRS505 owner with 2 questions||alchemyst||Sony Reader||14||08-02-2009 10:35 AM|
|hi all from a sony 505 owner||DBD||Introduce Yourself||5||01-29-2009 04:12 PM|
|New Kindle owner - questions||texasnightowl||Amazon Kindle||4||08-22-2008 01:38 PM|
|New Sony 505 owner||darthenstein||Introduce Yourself||1||10-26-2007 12:31 AM|