Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Prestigio Multipad PMP7100D 10.1", Prestigio MultiPhone 4040 DUO
Centra European characters

I received my 6" reader some time ago and I love it , in spite of the fact that customs charged an arm and a leg for it (like an additional third of the price :shudder: ), and I haven't had a problem since I started using it.

I do have a question, which is: how do I get the reader to display Central European characters correctly? Characters like Ć/ć, Č/č, Đ/đ, Š/š and Ž/ž. Mine is a South Slavic language, and I have a lot of notes taken in class which I'd like to transfer to my reader. The ones I've already transferred don't display properly. Is it a question of finding a correct font, or is it something else?

(BTW, it's become clear to me that 6" is really not sufficient for an academic reader; my ppt files display fine, but they're tiny. Same with doc files. Everyone praises epubs, but the default and first zoom size is too small and the second seems too large. I might have to read up on preparing epub files, but I'm pressed for time as it is.)
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I received my 6" reader some time ago and I love it , in spite of the fact that customs charged an arm and a leg for it (like an additional third of the price :shudder: ), and I haven't had a problem since I started using it.

I do have a question, which is: how do I get the reader to display Central European characters correctly? Characters like Ć/ć, Č/č, Đ/đ, Š/š and Ž/ž. Mine is a South Slavic language, and I have a lot of notes taken in class which I'd like to transfer to my reader. The ones I've already transferred don't display properly. Is it a question of finding a correct font, or is it something else?

(BTW, it's become clear to me that 6" is really not sufficient for an academic reader; my ppt files display fine, but they're tiny. Same with doc files. Everyone praises epubs, but the default and first zoom size is too small and the second seems too large. I might have to read up on preparing epub files, but I'm pressed for time as it is.)
EPUB/HTML files should include an language encoding:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
and the charset to use:
Code:
  <link rel="stylesheet" charset="UTF-8" href="../Styles/calibre_0.css" type="text/css" />
(Sigil code view is a easy way to peek.)
Someone else will have to answer if a "fonts" folder works with the 6 inch.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
EPUB/HTML files should include an language encoding:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
and the charset to use:
Code:
  <link rel="stylesheet" charset="UTF-8" href="../Styles/calibre_0.css" type="text/css" />
(Sigil code view is a easy way to peek.)
Someone else will have to answer if a "fonts" folder works with the 6 inch.
I um... don't use Calibre. I tried once, hated it. Tried a second time, not giving up for a long time, but I just can't get past my resistance to it. I've never used Sigil, but I'm willing to try. Thing is, I've loaded the reader with texts and notes from my classes since I'm preparing for a difficult exam, I have a LOT to read and can't afford to spend a lot of time on preparing these files. I guess for the time being I'm looking for a quick fix.

Is there a GUI for Sigil, since I'm not comfortable with any kind of command line? Would I be able to open the file and do a quick search&replace?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I um... don't use Calibre. I tried once, hated it. Tried a second time, not giving up for a long time, but I just can't get past my resistance to it. I've never used Sigil, but I'm willing to try. Thing is, I've loaded the reader with texts and notes from my classes since I'm preparing for a difficult exam, I have a LOT to read and can't afford to spend a lot of time on preparing these files. I guess for the time being I'm looking for a quick fix.

Is there a GUI for Sigil, since I'm not comfortable with any kind of command line? Would I be able to open the file and do a quick search&replace?
Sigil is a GUI tool to work on EPUB files.
There are 2 sides of the book, the WYSIWYG (what the reader should show), BV.
And the workings of the document. Those sips were from the power user side (the workings).
My examples we for good old USA english. wit UTF-8 encodings.
Your language code should appear in place of EN .
(you can see similar coding in Firefox or IE: "View source"

If you have a big test coming, now is not the best time to learn (X)HTML
or find how to add a missing font to your reader.
Does any EPUB book render properly with those characters? (PDF has the fonts included, so they might work)
Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Sigil is a GUI tool to work on EPUB files.
There are 2 sides of the book, the WYSIWYG (what the reader should show), BV.
And the workings of the document. Those sips were from the power user side (the workings).
My examples we for good old USA english. wit UTF-8 encodings.
Your language code should appear in place of EN .
(you can see similar coding in Firefox or IE: "View source"

If you have a big test coming, now is not the best time to learn (X)HTML
or find how to add a missing font to your reader.
Does any EPUB book render properly with those characters? (PDF has the fonts included, so they might work)
No, it doesn't; the characters are displayed as question marks. I'll see what I can do with Sigil, it may be as simple as fixing the language encoding (I hope; checking Firefox gives me Central European ISO-8859-2 as a possibility.) If it's not, I'll leave it for later. I can find my way around html and css; it's just when I saw the "calibre_0.css" in your example I thought I'd have to fix the css with calibre. I have no idea why. I think with fonts I just need to create a font folder on the SD card and place an appropriate font inside; but that only affects .txt and .doc documents (.docs have tiny text, btw, and have to be zoomed several times to be readable, or I'd use them.) It's also a question of finding a suitable free font.

I have to ask, BV? Sips? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with those terms (Sigil-related?).
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
theducks
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, it doesn't; the characters are displayed as question marks. I'll see what I can do with Sigil, it may be as simple as fixing the language encoding (I hope; checking Firefox gives me Central European ISO-8859-2 as a possibility.) If it's not, I'll leave it for later. I can find my way around html and css; it's just when I saw the "calibre_0.css" in your example I thought I'd have to fix the css with calibre. I have no idea why. I think with fonts I just need to create a font folder on the SD card and place an appropriate font inside; but that only affects .txt and .doc documents (.docs have tiny text, btw, and have to be zoomed several times to be readable, or I'd use them.) It's also a question of finding a suitable free font.

I have to ask, BV? Sips? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with those terms (Sigil-related?).
Sorry. BV, Sigil slang for Book View. CV, Code View
sips typo. snips
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry. BV, Sigil slang for Book View. CV, Code View
sips typo. snips
Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it a go tomorrow, it's already well past midnight on my side of the world.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Have you done the firmware upgrade?

Quote:

Dear citac:

I cannot help on the characters myself and will hope somebody else chimes in. I do know that the December Firmware Upgrade can still be found at: www.astak.com and that changed the standard EPUB font sizes from the initial three, to five, and then to seven!! So, I think if you do the December Firmware Upgrade you will not find that huge jump between font size 1 and font size 2 is past history when talking about EPUB!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Quote:

Visit My Web (in polish) dowiesz się wszyskiego na ten temat
http://www.epub.republika.pl/epub.htm
Semp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
Visit My Web (in polish) dowiesz się wszyskiego na ten temat
http://www.epub.republika.pl/epub.htm
I took a look at the website through Google Translate, it's not a very good translation but it's readable. I have to leave all the experimentation for later, after I'm done with my exam, but can I avoid Calibre in this process?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Semp
Enthusiast

Is this problem only with the EPub format?
Are the other formats display correctly characters?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad mini, HP Touchpad, Aura HD
Have you tried using a free program, like PDFCreator, to make your own PDFs from word files? I do that with my class notes, and my reader displays the characters (Croatian) correctly. You can customize the PDF so that it looks better on a 6 inch screen by making the margins smaller (under "datoteka" "postava stranice"), bumping up the font, etc.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Semp
Enthusiast

Quote:
I took a look at the website through Google Translate, it's not a very good translation but it's readable. I have to leave all the experimentation for later, after I'm done with my exam, but can I avoid Calibre in this process?
If you want avoid Calibre you can use free on line converter EPub to FB2
http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-fb2
Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Have you tried using a free program, like PDFCreator, to make your own PDFs from word files? I do that with my class notes, and my reader displays the characters (Croatian) correctly. You can customize the PDF so that it looks better on a 6 inch screen by making the margins smaller (under "datoteka" "postava stranice"), bumping up the font, etc.
Yes, that's probably what I should do, at least for these files. I'll leave the rest until after I'm done with this exam. I'd also like to see what I can do with epub files later on; but this takes precedence. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
If you want avoid Calibre you can use free on line converter EPub to FB2
http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-fb2
For some reason, my reader goes crazy when I try to access an fb2 book (does the size of the file have any influence on whether the reader has problems opening a book? If not, there's something wrong with the actual files then.)

I'm studying for an exam so I don't spend a lot of time here, but I will check in once in a while to see what's new, and will follow your recommendations once I have some more free time on my hands.