Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 25
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Android
Download default nook launcher icons?

Hi!

I'm softrooted, and I'm using the mynookru launcher, but I much prefer the matte looking nook icons. Anyone know where I can download them? OR how to get them off the nook? Is there any way for me to browse the nook internal sd card for system files? I can pull them with adb if I knew what folder they were in. Is there a list of files somewhere?

Thanks!!!
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 37
Karma: 22
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
I'm softrooted, and I'm using the mynookru launcher, but I much prefer the matte looking nook icons. Anyone know where I can download them?
I remade launcher icons in both the old-style and new-style B&N look. They are available both in the nookdevs source code repository (as SVG vector files) and as bitmaps in the download section of the project (download either ZIP and put the icons in a folder named “my icons” on your device or external SD card). I have updated and added to the icons since they were put up there; if you miss any, just mention it and I'll update the archives.

As I don't use the mynook.ru launcher, I cannot, however, tell you whether it's possible to change its icons. This is possible with nookdevs' nookLauncher, which by default uses new-style B&N look-alike icons.

Last edited by curio; 07-31-2010 at 03:19 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 37
Karma: 22
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
Is there any way for me to browse the nook internal sd card for system files?
The internal SD card is mounted at “/system/media/sdcard”; the external one at “/sdcard”.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 25
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
I remade launcher icons in both the old-style and new-style B&N look. They are available both in the nookdevs source code repository (as SVG vector files) and as bitmaps in the download section of the project (download either ZIP and put the icons in a folder named “my icons” on your device or external SD card). I have updated and added to the icons since they were put up there; if you miss any, just mention it and I'll update the archives.

As I don't use the mynook.ru launcher, I cannot, however, tell you whether it's possible to change its icons. This is possible with nookdevs' nookLauncher, which by default uses new-style B&N look-alike icons.
Hmm, I have downloaded your icons, thanks! But it doesn't seem to work with mynook.ru either. The nookdevs site for mynook.ru says this:

"To use your own icons with this launcher, simply put them in the "my icons" folder on the internal memory, named <activity_full_name>.png and <activity_full_name>_focused.png"

I've tried my own icons also, and I've tried naming them what the default nook launcher does, such as:

games_chess.png

and how mynook.ru launcher does:

com.bravo.chess.ChessActivity.png

And I put them in a folder named "my icons" on my internal sd card.

Perhaps I'm not naming them correctly, but the devs site really doesn't give much info.
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 37
Karma: 22
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Device: nook Wi-Fi
I don't know about the mynook.ru launcher, but with the nookdevs' nookLauncher, once you've put the icons where they're supposed to be, you need to got to “launcher settings” (icon may be labeled “launcher...”), and there, when you add applications (via the “+” button), you can tap an icon (in the second-level list) in order to choose an alternative icon to be used. Unfortunately, for applications already being shown by the launcher, you'll first have to remove and then re-add them (tap once in the first-level list, then tap again). Maybe there's a way to do this without having to remove them first as this won't work for icons that cannot be removed (such as the launcher settings, IIRC), but I don't know it. Maybe PM hharan here on the forums, he'll be more knowledgeable.

If you're into software development and able to build APKs of your own, you can also easily exchange icons inside the launcher and arbitrary applications' APKs to change the defaults.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 25
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
I don't know about the mynook.ru launcher, but with the nookdevs' nookLauncher, once you've put the icons where they're supposed to be, you need to got to “launcher settings” (icon may be labeled “launcher...”), and there, when you add applications (via the “+” button), you can tap an icon (in the second-level list) in order to choose an alternative icon to be used. Unfortunately, for applications already being shown by the launcher, you'll first have to remove and then re-add them (tap once in the first-level list, then tap again). Maybe there's a way to do this without having to remove them first as this won't work for icons that cannot be removed (such as the launcher settings, IIRC), but I don't know it. Maybe PM hharan here on the forums, he'll be more knowledgeable.

If you're into software development and able to build APKs of your own, you can also easily exchange icons inside the launcher and arbitrary applications' APKs to change the defaults.
Thanks, I emailed the mynookru launcher guy, and he said it's never been texted, and will be fixed in a future release, so I switched to the other launcher you mentioned.

I like the original icons much better, to me it goes with the nook's matte eink screen much better.
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Original nook icons for mynook.ru Launcher? Kypt Barnes & Noble NOOK 5 09-17-2010 12:32 PM
Classic Nook Launcher problem dorotie Barnes & Noble NOOK 1 08-19-2010 11:10 PM
Classic ru.launcher icons can be customized now! (new update) Atomix Nook Developer's Corner 3 08-13-2010 09:40 AM
Classic replace ru.launcher icons Atomix Barnes & Noble NOOK 1 08-04-2010 07:13 PM
Classic softroot- Launcher icons changed RTbar Nook Developer's Corner 2 04-19-2010 12:39 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.