Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #31
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
My first reader was an iPaq back in 1999. Read lots of books on that but, as soon as the Sony 505 came out, I was hooked and never looked back.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #32
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2,Nook,ipad mini, iPad Air, galaxy S5, ipod touch 5th gen
Actually I just remembered that I had this Sony Ericsson PDA phone back in 2004 which I read scientific papers on occasionally. So I guess that would be my first official e-reading device.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #33
Solitaire1
Off-Kilter Scientist
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookHD+ & Kobo Touch eReader
My first ebook reader was a Palm Vx PDA with ereader software (I don't remember the name of it, but it was a freeware program). I later replaced that with the Palm Reader software and used it until I got a Sony PRS-500.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
GraceKrispy
Rollin' with the punches
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, droid x, sad damaged 505
Nov 2008- sony 505
sometime in 2009- blackberry curve
last Thursday- ipod Touch

and therein lies my ereading journey. I still own and actively use them all. (306 books on my sony, 4 books on my curve, 15 books on my touch, currently)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #35
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Acer Aspire One netbook, using Mobipocket. Shortly after that I bought an old Palm PDA off of ebay, and used Mobipocket on that too. I read off of those two devices for probably at least a year before I slid down that slippery slope of dedicated e-readers.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #36
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
<edit>

Last edited by jblitereader; 03-23-2011 at 02:34 AM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #37
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I started reading on my laptop around the beginning of 2009 (give or take a few months). I got my Astak EZ Reader Basic in June, 2009 and an iPod Touch in late 2009. I still use all 3 regularly, but I'm now looking for something that's backlit but with a larger screen than the Touch. I recently bought "The Book" by Augen and I do like reading on it, but it doesn't have all the functions I'd like and the ergonomics aren't quite right for me, so I think it's going back. Now I'm leaning toward getting a 7" Android tablet.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #38
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
My first e-reader is the current nook I bought back in feb. Prior I read mostly dead tree books, a (very) few on my PC, and the rest I would print out. I used to print 300 page books in font size 5-6 (whichever was readable, depending on the printer) 3 columns per page. You'd be surprised how much you can fit onto a single page if you can read super small print.

Of course my vision get blurry real fast after 3 feet these days...
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #39
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T3, Kindle 3, iPad2, Nexus7v2
My HP IPAQ 110 PDA.

I started with Microsoft Reader, graduated to Mobipocket and finally to FREDA (ePUB) before purchasing my Sony PRS-300.

I still use Mobipocket on my smartphone though
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #40
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPad, Nook Classic
In 1999 I bought a b&w Sony Clie and discovered Peanut Press. I haven't bought a paper book since.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #41
simplyparticular
Breecisely
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 & PRS-T2

My first portable ebook reader was a Sony Clié PEGA-T615C. It wasn't my first Palm OS device, but it was the first one to have a backlight, so I could read in the dark without disturbing my bedmate. Here's my timeline:

Sony Clie PEGA-T615C (2002-03)
palmOne Tungsten E (2003-04)
Sony Clie PEGA-TG50 (2004-05)
palmOne Treo 600 (2005-07)
palmOne Tungsten X (2005-07)
palm Treo 680 Copper (2007-09)
iPhone 2G 8GB (2009)
iPhone 3G 8GB (2009 - present)

And that doesn't include any of the 6 e-Ink devices I tried out in the last 3 months!

Yeah, I'm just as much of a gadget freak as a reader

Last edited by simplyparticular; 08-01-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added image
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #42
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505, Nook Color(CM7), iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Mine was one of the Visors. I got the expansion module that let me use SmartMedia cards as storage for the books.

(I'm taking device to exclude computers)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #43
jimhanas
Practitioner
jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: iPhone/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Yeah, I'm just as much of a gadget freak as a reader
Me too. Thanks for sharing the detailed timeline.
jimhanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #44
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, KT, PB701/IQ, K2, PB360, BeBook One, Axim51v, TC1000
1997 - Compaq HPC - Got a Black Friday deal for US$129.
http://www.businessweek.com/1996/50/b350536.htm

From there I moved to a Philips Velo 500:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/1998/06/05/...00_hpc_review/

...Then, an HP Jornada 568...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jornada_560_series

Which was *Really* good (MSReader + Mobipocket) so I stayed the course until I moved to the Dell Axim x51v:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Ax...xim_X51_family

...and, simultaneously:
http://reviews.cnet.com/mobile-conne...-20627295.html

With those two I was set until I got a BeBook in 2008. I fooled around with the firmware-of-the-month-club until I had enough and got the PB360 in november 2009.

I added a refurb K2 this spring and I'm looking to the release of the PB901 and the ULVCore CPU Win7 tablets next spring as candidates for my large format ereading. (The TC1000 is still working fine but the power switch is looking to die soon and the repair estimate was not good.)

Along the way I've played with a lot of other PDA, eReader, and tablet hardware but that's what I've dropped my money on. At the time, they all satisfied.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #45
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
My first was a Handspring Visor. I don't know how sick I got of hearing the question, "But how can you read on such a small screen?"
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote