Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.
 
SUSGOD's Avatar
 
Posts: 82
Karma: 21
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
SD card limit and fix

I tried to transfer 416 MB of 400 E-Books in formats .PRC, MOBI, .TXT, and .PDF to a Transcend TS2GSDC SD card. I loaded 150 books alphabetically A-F of all formats but then the transfer stoped. I got the message “the directory or file cannot be created”. Only 112MB loaded onto the 2GB card. The e-book reader will accept 2GB SD.

Next I cleared the SD card, inserted it in the e-book reader SD slot and connected the e-book reader to my computer. I tried to load the 400 E-Books on to the SD card again going through the e-book reader. The SD card only took the first 150 e-books or 112 MB leaving 1,854MB free and unused.

I tried using a PNYSD card and had exactly the same problem I have with the Transcend brand. One SD card mfg service Rep suggested “Your e-book files are corrupted. It is possible not all the files, it could be one. To fix this problem you need to run chkdsk at the memory device where are the ebook files.” The e-book files are stored on my PC hard drive and on the SD cards. I ran chkdsk, but there were no corrupted files.

Then I tried to transfer 682 image files to the SD cards, and 606 MB loaded without a problem. The problem seems limited to e-book files. Since both cards had no problem loading image files, I next divided my e-books into folders and loaded each folder. IT WORKED!

SD cards from different manufacturers appear to have a limit on the number of e-books (limit 112MB) that can be loaded directly on to the first level of the SD card. There is no problem loading 425 MB of e-books divided into folders and sub-directories. Fortunately, my e-book reader can use folders.

Why can’t I load all my e-books without folders onto the first level of an SD card? Neither manufacturer could explain this.

PNY 2GB SD card Model#: PSD2GBEF
Transcend 2GB SD card Model#: TS2GSDC
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,325
Karma: 1856232
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bavaria Germany
Device: HTC Sensation 4G (KK), Nexus 7b (KK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
I tried to transfer 416 MB of 400 E-Books in formats .PRC, MOBI, .TXT, and .PDF to a Transcend TS2GSDC SD card. I loaded 150 books alphabetically A-F of all formats but then the transfer stoped. I got the message “the directory or file cannot be created”. Only 112MB loaded onto the 2GB card. The e-book reader will accept 2GB SD.
That is because the root directory has a limit on the maximum number of entries available. It is better to put only directories in the root, and then put your files in those directories.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120138

If your reader is limited to a maximum of 2 Gigabytes on the SD it is likely limited to only using the FAT16 filesystem, so switching to FAT32 is probably not an option. Actually, any SD card is limited to a maximum of 2 Gigabytes as it requires SDHC to go beyond that.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,428
Karma: 5560777
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The (original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
Why can’t I load all my e-books without folders onto the first level of an SD card? Neither manufacturer could explain this.

PNY 2GB SD card Model#: PSD2GBEF
Transcend 2GB SD card Model#: TS2GSDC
Susan
What Dave_S said is true. In general, file systems have limits on "root" folders.
Different FS, different limits., but doing what you did will guarantee that you will hit it sometime (when you don't have the time to make it right Murphy )

It is like putting all your family and friends in the front seat of your car. No room for the driver.
If your reader intended to have all your books in one place, it probably would have one giant file (database) that could only be accessed via special software.

Calibre's author started that way and dumped it.
Slow. A burp and it turns into trash.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.
 
SUSGOD's Avatar
 
Posts: 82
Karma: 21
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Susan
What Dave_S said is true. In general, file systems have limits on "root" folders.
Different FS, different limits., but doing what you did will guarantee that you will hit it sometime (when you don't have the time to make it right Murphy )

It is like putting all your family and friends in the front seat of your car. No room for the driver.
If your reader intended to have all your books in one place, it probably would have one giant file (database) that could only be accessed via special software.

Calibre's author started that way and dumped it.
Slow. A burp and it turns into trash.
I just don't understand why SD cards will allow 682+ image files on one level but limit e-books to 150. My old Cybook's SD feature could not read folders, but fortunately my Aluratec can.
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,325
Karma: 1856232
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bavaria Germany
Device: HTC Sensation 4G (KK), Nexus 7b (KK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
I just don't understand why SD cards will allow 682+ image files on one level but limit e-books to 150. My old Cybook's SD feature could not read folders, but fortunately my Aluratec can.
The limit is not the SD card itself, but the file system used on the SD card. In a nutshell, IF the FAT filesystem is used on your SD card, then the number of entries available in the root of the filesystem is determined at the time the SD card is formatted. The standard limit is 512 entries in the root, so if you got 682+, then whatever you were using to get that was a nonstandard FAT filesystem. You should also note that 512 entries is for the old 8.3 file naming convention, so if you use long filenames you will get much less than 512 files and folders in the root.

Maybe this Wikipedia link can explain what is going on to your satisfaction?
Quote:
The number of root directory entries available is determined when the volume is formatted, and is stored in a 16-bit signed field, defining an absolute limit of 32767 entries (32736, a multiple of 32, in practice). For historical reasons, FAT12 and FAT16 media generally use 512 root directory entries on non-floppy media. Other sizes may be incompatible with some software or devices (entries being file and/or folder names in the original 8.3 format)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.
 
SUSGOD's Avatar
 
Posts: 82
Karma: 21
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
SD card limit explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The limit is not the SD card itself, but the file system used on the SD card. In a nutshell, IF the FAT filesystem is used on your SD card, then the number of entries available in the root of the filesystem is determined at the time the SD card is formatted. The standard limit is 512 entries in the root, so if you got 682+, then whatever you were using to get that was a nonstandard FAT filesystem. You should also note that 512 entries is for the old 8.3 file naming convention, so if you use long filenames you will get much less than 512 files and folders in the root.

Maybe this Wikipedia link can explain what is going on to your satisfaction?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
Thank you for explaining it! My image files conform to the old 8.3 file naming convention. The downloaded or created e-book files do not. Now it makes sense.

Susan
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classic Expandable Memory - MicroSD card size limit? theDwarf Barnes & Noble NOOK 3 09-13-2010 03:54 AM
iPad iBooks Limit JayLaFunk Apple Devices 9 05-25-2010 03:06 PM
50 char limit? BrianG Calibre 2 01-25-2010 10:15 AM
There Is A Limit C6REW Sony Reader 20 09-06-2008 04:12 PM
Iliad CF card upper limit? JimBob1971 iRex 3 03-02-2008 08:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.