Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
hurricane
hurricane began at the beginning.

Device: nook
a naive newbie's view of nook as PDF viewer

Have never used a e-reader and don't quite know the limit. But seeing nook's capability to view PDFs, i went to buy one, planning to use it primarily as a portable device to view technical stuff i have in PDFs, and secondarily as a e-book reader.

Not what I expected. I have a non-printable PDF file for "Mastering AutoCAD" which is over 70MB. Uploaded onto nook and was not successful in opening the file at all. Then a little more research led me to believe the file is just too huge for the device to handle. Didn't know that.

Then I tried to open some PDFs I created using excel. It works if there are not too many columns so the text size remain legible. Didn't realize that I can not zoom in and out (I am so naive that I thought I could do that)

Then I tried to open PDFs I created using MS Word. Pretty good, lost formatting which I expected but it reads like a real document.

PDFs created with InDesign, Photoshop are just a bunch of mess. Totally illegible.

I can only blame myself for not knowing what the device is capable of before buying it. I am sure it excels as what it is supposed to do - a e-reader for certain file formats.

My purpose of writing this is not to rant or to troll, but to reflect that a naive newcomer could have a entirely unrealistic expectation of a device's capability. I am sure most of you in this forums are experts, but for those who had no idea what a e-reader is and planned to buy one with a similar perception/ expectation as mine, understand it is not a true PDF reader in a really usable sense and you will likely to be disappointed.

I apologize if this post sounds negative at all, but I realized that I was looking for wrong thing in the wrong market. I just hope there will be a true PDF viewer in e-ink sometime.
hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Hurricane. If you download the free Calibre library software (created by MR member Kovid Goyal), you may be able to easily convert your PDFs into another format, if they're not locked by Digital Rights Management (DRM). The result, though, isn't always good.

No need to think yourself naieve. From what I hear in these forums, naivety begins at home ... right in the store. Few staff know the first thing about reading devices and can't be relied upon for meaningful advice.

Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-30-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I really doubt the size is the issue. I have loaded a scanned PDF of 230mb into the nook and it opened no problem at all (and very fast). It's a scanned Chinese book (images) and I had to use briss (a program listed in the forum) to split the pages into half and then use Adobe to rotate counter-clock wise (as the nook does not support landscape mode) to make the text readable. It works like a charm.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Grierson Huffman
Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Too many!
Sylver, thanks for the heads-up on Briss (hilarious name for a cropping utility).
Grierson Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
hurricane
hurricane began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
I really doubt the size is the issue.
I don't know whether it's the size of the file or something else, but when I tried to open the PDF file for "Mastering AutoCAD", it said "opening document" for something like 15 minutes, then the front cover showed up. However, I was unable to go to the next page, and a warning that said "sorry! activity reader (in application reader) is not responding." and the nook froze. It could be a bug I guess.
hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote