Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
NatCh's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,605
Karma: 926222
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Republic of Texas Embassy at Jackson, TN
Device: Nook STGR
Plastic Logic Announces New Plant

Plastic Logic raises $100 million to enable the first “take anywhere, read anywhere” electronic reader products

New volume manufacturing facility to ramp-up in 2008



Cambridge, UK – 3rd January 2007 – Plastic Logic announced today that it will build the first factory to manufacture plastic electronics on a commercial scale. The facility will produce flexible active-matrix display modules for ‘take anywhere, read anywhere’ electronic reader products. It will utilize Plastic Logic’s unique process to fabricate active-matrix displays that are thin, light and robust; enabling a reading experience closer to paper than any other technology.
Read more >>

(includes "high resolution" images and videos!)


Hat tip to Francis at the Baen Bar

Last edited by NatCh; 01-03-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Fixing title -- Didn't realize it was too long the first go-round. Oops.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
yvanleterrible's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,513
Karma: 3606000
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Que Nada
Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Forgive my ignorance but is'nt active matrix an LCD term or could it be applied to eink in a way?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 01-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.
 
Hadrien's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,265
Karma: 145123
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Paris, France
Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
That's a groundbreaking news. The device looks great: flexible, A4, e-ink reader.

But what are these people reading ? A Google Books version of The Metamorphosis with ugly scan lines everywhere ? At least this means that the reader will handle PDF files I guess (A4, and good looking A4).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
GodDamN
Member
GodDamN began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney
Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Forgive my ignorance but is'nt active matrix an LCD term or could it be applied to eink in a way?
My limited knowledge (and I say limited) is that Active Matrix relates to the use of transistors for pixel switching rather than capacitance. The TFT sets the state of the pixel. With LCD's as soon as the TFT loses its charge the LCD pixel reverts to its natural position - but these guys are using organic materials - maybe they hold their position after the TFT lets go, leaving only a power requirement to change the state of the pixel. That sounds familiar??

Or i could be completely wrong...!
GodDamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
GodDamN
Member
GodDamN began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney
Device: Sony Reader
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/emergingtech...9285323,00.htm

There is "clever chemistry going on"....
GodDamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
NatCh's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,605
Karma: 926222
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Republic of Texas Embassy at Jackson, TN
Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Forgive my ignorance but is'nt active matrix an LCD term or could it be applied to eink in a way?
I think that e-ink uses the same sort of driver backplane that an LCD display does, so this ought to apply just fine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
Posts: 490
Karma: 1641
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville
Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
If this is in consumer hands in 2008 I'll drink soup from my shoe.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
sorcerian
Junior Member
sorcerian began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2006
Device: Sony prs-500
Why do they think people want a floppy display? You can see the issue with it in all of those pictures, you need 2 hands to use it effectively. One handed or no handed use is easier when you have a stiff substance.
sorcerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
yvanleterrible's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,513
Karma: 3606000
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Que Nada
Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
If this is in consumer hands in 2008 I'll drink soup from my shoe.
OH! Goodie goodie!
I wanna see a movie of that one.

Better start wearing oregano socks soon!

To be fair it would have to be today's shoes.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
NatCh's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,605
Karma: 926222
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Republic of Texas Embassy at Jackson, TN
Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
If this is in consumer hands in 2008 I'll drink soup from my shoe.
They didn't say that the product would be in consumer hands by 08, LG, just that the new plant was scheduled to "ramp up" in 08.

Besides, you might want to be careful with that sort of statment, some folks around here have long memories, and perverse enough senses of humor to try to hold you to them.

Such as yvanleterrible, for instance.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
nekokami's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,745
Karma: 551260
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northeast US
Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerian
Why do they think people want a floppy display?
Because it's less likely to break if you bump it? Because you can roll it up and stuff it into a smaller container? I see your point about one-handed use, but I can think of several good reasons for a flexible display.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the gloss-induced glare in the photo.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
slayda's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,741
Karma: 884247
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Alabama, USA
Device: Kindle 1, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
If this is in consumer hands in 2008 I'll drink soup from my shoe.

New shoe or old, stinky used shoe?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
yvanleterrible's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,513
Karma: 3606000
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Que Nada
Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerian
Why do they think people want a floppy display? You can see the issue with it in all of those pictures, you need 2 hands to use it effectively. One handed or no handed use is easier when you have a stiff substance.
I think the guy in the picture is exagerating a bit to show the movement. It does'nt look more flexible than a transparent document binder. The logic behing this is that it will pile better in a suitcase filled with folders than the current crop of readers.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
Posts: 490
Karma: 1641
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Louisville
Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
For the record I just bought new Nikes this weekend, they currently have about three days of foot sweat in them.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
yvanleterrible's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,513
Karma: 3606000
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Que Nada
Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
I suggest you put them aside for a couple of months.
But I think you are right about them not being able to sell their first flexible display before 2008. If they have 10mil to spend it means they have factories to build first. We all know how long that takes.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plastic Logic kills QUE carld News 7 08-12-2010 10:17 AM
Plastic Logic New Email timezone News 11 06-21-2009 09:05 AM
Plastic Logic Reader Alfy Autres liseuses 6 12-16-2008 08:18 AM
Plastic Logic’s eReader miztiik Plastic Logic Que 1 09-13-2008 11:06 AM
Plastic Logic Pinkelman Plastic Logic Que 1 09-11-2008 01:41 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.