Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Readers Came Out of the Woodwork

At my handspinner's guild meeting today, I pulled out my new Kindle to show it to a friend. Immediately the person on my right pulled out her Nook, the person three seats down said, "Hey, I have a Nook!," and the person sitting across from me said, "Hey, I have a Kindle!" The friend that I was discussing the Kindle with has two Sony Readers, and I know of at least one other Kindle in the group that didn't surface today. I was a little surprised -- I knew I had a lot in common with this group of people, but I didn't know we had this in common. I need to drag them all over here to MobileRead, huh?

(Actually, my friend with the 2 Sony Readers -- Archergal5219 -- is the one who got me over here in the first place.)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Oh no!!! We're going to be invaded by... by... by... HANDSPINNERS!!!!
Are you referring to the making of thread? Spinning wheels?
What an interesting combination of old and new technologies.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Oh no!!! We're going to be invaded by... by... by... HANDSPINNERS!!!!
Are you referring to the making of thread? Spinning wheels?
Yep, spinning wheels, and the making of thread. :-)

I think that's what kind of tickled me about it -- we're all about doing things in the old way there, but hidden in everybody's basket -- an electronic book reader!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Genaro Zamora
thriller tale
Genaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle app
lolz....
Genaro Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
That's absolutely hysterical! Great story.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post

Cool story. I haven't seen that many in the wild ... that weren't initiated by me! So far, I talked:
  • Co-worker one into buying an eBookwise and later a Sony
  • Co-worker two who bought an eBookwise and two more for her daughters
  • Co-worker who has my old eBookwise
  • Friend one who has my first Sony
  • Friend two who bought my second Sony
  • Friend three who bought my G3 Cybook

Not that I've ever seen them all together in the same room with their Readers.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
we weave such wonderful tales into these threads ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I got both of my parents into e-readers and my mother was quite surprised to find that when she raised the topic at dinner one day, my stepbrother's mother in law (her contemporary) had a pink Sony!

I also saw someone reading a Kindle on the bus this week---I had my Kindle too. It was the first time I ever saw two of them together. Someone on the same bus had a Sony, someone else had an iPhone with eReader running (I recognized the splash screen) and someone else was reading RSS feeds (I think) on an iPad. All on one bus!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
Lyndl
Lyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 2i, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
Great story!
I still haven't seen another Kindle, or any type of reader. I feel so alone
Lyndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I was at a museum (a pioneer mansion) in Flagstaff, AZ last weekend and was chatting with other women waiting for the tour to start. Found out one owned a Kindle and another a Nook. I showed them the Mentor I had in my purse. 'Tis a small world.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Never come across anybody with an electronic reading device in any form, except the one I introduced to electronic reading years upon years ago.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
We should be getting kickbacks from the industry!
I got a reader for my wife and her sister (total technophobes mind you), and a colleague of mine at work is just testing the new Kindle DX Perl for me .
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #13
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
My theory is that some handcrafts just suit ebook readers to a T. Anything you can do without needing your eyes constantly on your work can be improved by a good book. And I used to hate trying to keep my book open while knitting. The experience is much simpler with a reader I was reading from a Sony while knitting on the train this morning - I'm not sure whether the stares from an elderly male fellow passenger were because I was knitting, or using a weird device, or the fact I was doing both, or just that I have blue hair atm.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
My theory is that some handcrafts just suit ebook readers to a T. Anything you can do without needing your eyes constantly on your work can be improved by a good book. And I used to hate trying to keep my book open while knitting. The experience is much simpler with a reader I was reading from a Sony while knitting on the train this morning - I'm not sure whether the stares from an elderly male fellow passenger were because I was knitting, or using a weird device, or the fact I was doing both, or just that I have blue hair atm.
I knit and read at the same time, too, and e-book readers make that so much easier. I have to admit that I can't knit lace or anything complicated while I read, but simple stuff.... sure.