Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Improving PDF readability on Kindle DX

Hi,

I'm new to this community - just bought the nex DXG, and trying to make the most of its (still basic) PDF support. Since I am not happy with the way a number of PDF files are displayed, I am wondering if people had suggestions on how to improve/modify existing PDF files (of which I don't have the source) so that they'd look better on the DX, while retaining the original formatting. Here are my main issues:

- Improving the readability of files heavily hit by anti-aliasing. What I refer to is PDF files where text looks grey more than black, especially at low size, due to the use of serif typefaces (as documented here: http://blog.deadinkvinyl.com/2009/07...the-kindle-dx/ ) I suspect something can be done to improve such files, but I can't sort it out. Perhaps, first transforming the pdf file in images, and then back in a pdf? Or changing the contrast? I don't mind losing the ability to search text as long as readability is improved. I have access to Acrobat Pro 9, but happy to try other Mac/Linux tools

- Automatically cropping the file so that not just the white margins are taken out (that's already done by the Kindle), but also portions of the page that are "mostly" white - for example page numbers or graphical layout that makes sense on a printed book, but not on an e-reader. Is there any software capable of doing this automatically? (preferrably on Mac, but I'm flexible)

As an example for what I mean, I suggest you take a look at this sample issue of a magazine I read in PDF, but doesn't render that well on the DX at fit-to-screen, although I am sure it can.

https://pdf.internazionale.it/numero_prova.php

Thanks!
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Kindlematic, have you tried Calibre? I have not used it but I have heard that it can format files for different display sizes. Also, do a search in this forum for SoPDF. It is a command-line tool for Windows that has some of the Calibre functionality. I have not used it but I have heard it can help with the formatting.

The best solution is to take the Kindle and create a better PDF viewer than what comes built-in. Create it and distribute the source code around the world. Let all developers jump in and add their contributions.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
In my experience, Calibre can't improve an existing PDF file - and is quite inconsistent when converting a multiple column pdf document into .mobi. The Amazon free conversion is much better with the test files I have. Calibre is fantastic for conversion of web content in .mobi format, but that's a different use altogether.
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Try ABBYY PDF Transformer.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Some digital readers seem to have trouble displaying a PDF which has Times New Roman as a font. Times New Roman is often displayed in light grey and as a sans serif font. It can also change the font size. I think this might be an Adobe Digital Editions problem, but I'm not sure. These PDFs look fine on a computer or printed, but Sony Readers and Kindles seem to have problems with Times New Roman embedded into a PDF.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antialias, font, kindle, pdf