Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My dog was attacked

I'm terribly upset at the moment, and I need advice.

I foster dogs for a local animal rescue group. One of my fosters, a 60 pound beagle hound mix, got into a fight with my 6 year old 25 pound Boston Terrier, and won the fight by grabbing my baby across the spine, picking her up and shaking her. It is possible that my baby started the fight, but it ended with 3 deep puncture wounds and $1,400 in emergency vet bills.

Obviously the foster dog has to go. But I also need to know if I should ask the rescue group to cover the vet bills. It' their dog, after all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that I hope she is doing OK.

Check and see if they have insurance to cover it. They may.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Wow...sorry about your luck, man.

I do not believe that the rescue group would be considered legally responsible to cover the bill. Usually something like this requires proof of negligence on their part and since the dog was legally in your care...

However i do think that you should ask to see if some help is available in covering the costs.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Oh, no your poor baby! I would be very upset also.

I think I would also check with the animal rescue group. You never know, this is probably not the first time something has happened with a rescue dog. Don't they have to have a license to operate and insurance in case of injury?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Most animal rescue agencies operate on a shoestring budget - they may not have the resources to reimburse - if they feel responsible for your expenses.

My sincerest condolences for the suffering of your baby - unfortunately "big dog/little dog" syndrome is a well-known behavioral incident that can be unexpectedly triggered - with devastating results. I applaud your willingness to foster dogs, but you may want to reconsider the size dog you allow into your home.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yes I would ask them. most animal groups have HUGE insurance policies for just such a reason. amongst other things, how could they get people to foster dogs if there is a chance that they may incur monstrous vet bills.

DO ASK!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yes I would ask them. most animal groups have HUGE insurance policies for just such a reason. amongst other things, how could they get people to foster dogs if there is a chance that they may incur monstrous vet bills.

DO ASK!!!!
I've already sent an email asking about the insurance, yes. I haven't asked for money, and I wasn't really planning to.

And I do appreciate the advice on dog sizes. I wasn't planning on fostering a dog this big. Actually, I didn't find out that we got stuck with her until after she was already home.

Until we got the menace the biggest dogs we had were lab puppies and they're not a problem. My dog can dominate them when they're small, and she can maintain the dominance when they're bigger than she is. (If you raise them right Labs don't care who's in charge.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Nate, I'm sorry to hear about your Boston Terrier. I hope your dog recovers fully with no lasting physical damage. You're a good man to foster rescued animals, and it's a shame this had to happen. I hope the group is able to help over the medical expenses.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
gotta say, that's a huge damn beagle mix. Beagles themselves normally go in the 15-20 pound range
Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #10
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I don't have any advice on the financial issue, but I'm really sorry your dog was hurt. I know what it's like to have a pet injured and hurting. Hopefully your baby makes a speedy recovery.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very sorry to hear this, Nate, but wasn't the matter of vet's bills mentioned when you took on the fostering?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I too am sorry to hear this Nate.

I'd be surprised if any rescue centre has not got insurance ! [but, of course, your country may have different regs to the UK !]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
In the US, many rescues are small volunteer groups operating on very frayed shoestrings. Every penny they spend on anything but the barest essentials may come at the cost of a dog's life. So insurance might not be a given. It really depends on the group and the situation (exotic breed rescues, for instance, tend to be better funded).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
In the US, many rescues are small volunteer groups operating on very frayed shoestrings. Every penny they spend on anything but the barest essentials may come at the cost of a dog's life. So insurance might not be a given. It really depends on the group and the situation (exotic breed rescues, for instance, tend to be better funded).
yeah, but having worked with many of these non-profits, I know how much of an issue insurance is. they may very well be connected to the local humane society or some other organization. I cannot imagine these folks are not insured. imagine what would happen if a fostered dog went after a kid... just cannot happen in this day and age
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yeah, but having worked with many of these non-profits, I know how much of an issue insurance is. they may very well be connected to the local humane society or some other organization. I cannot imagine these folks are not insured. imagine what would happen if a fostered dog went after a kid... just cannot happen in this day and age
True, but that would be what we call "public liability insurance". That's a very different thing from insurance that would pay the vet's bills of a volunteer working for the group. I seriously doubt that insurance would cover that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote