Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Masochistic perhaps, but that's what Sigil is supposed to do, take out the "hard" parts of a process the less-technical user doesn't want to have to worry about, and allows them to concentrate on the story....
That's why there are numerous options within Sigil ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #17
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I've just loaded my novel as a Word doc into Sigil and it turned into this: ��ࡱ�

I'm a concise writer, but not that concise.

I think it's got my measure and is teasing me.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it may be teasing you ....

what did you do, exactly, import?
or paste the contents of the WORD file ?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Sensation 4G (KK), Nexus 7b (KK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
I've just loaded my novel as a Word doc into Sigil and it turned into this: ��ࡱ�

I'm a concise writer, but not that concise.

I think it's got my measure and is teasing me.
I really hope I misunderstand what you wrote, because Sigil does not take DOC as an input. Trying to do so would generate pure trash. Sigil can take HTML, EPUB, or TXT as input. BTW, those symbols that you quoted indicate characters in the text that are not in the declared character set.

FWIW, I just tried doing what I understood that you were trying. That is, to directly open a Word DOC in Sigil, which I know it cannot do. I got the same four symbols that you did, and no other error indication. It could probably be considered a shortcoming of Sigil that it lets people try things like that, but if you drop down the file type box when you use Sigil's open file dialog you will see the file types that Sigil can actually input.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
GeoffC

I've just experimented with a WORD document, it copied/pasted into the Viewer with few problems

- it insisted on an extra line space but, otherwise, all the characters etc were correctly displayed ....
Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
GeoffC

Saving your WORD document as a txt files might allow you to then open in Sigil, but the formatting may not brilliant....
Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I copied and pasted, and that worked (I didn't get the extra line space) but the formatting has gone, and it would take ages to put it back. In particular, there doesn't seem to be a way to put in indents in wysiwyg.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
GeoffC

There are two arrows on the edit pane that allow you to indent ....
Old 07-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #24
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Sensation 4G (KK), Nexus 7b (KK)
Quote:
I copied and pasted, and that worked (I didn't get the extra line space) but the formatting has gone, and it would take ages to put it back. In particular, there doesn't seem to be a way to put in indents in wysiwyg.
That is what I meant about it being a PITA to use cut and paste for an entire novel. You *can* entirely re-format your novel from cut and pasted text in Sigil, but it would be an exercise in masochism. Since you already have your novel looking the way that you want it to look in Word( I assume ?), then it would be better to pursue a one of the several options to convert formatted Word DOC output to clean HTML for input into Sigil. That's my $0.02
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #25
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
There are two arrows on the edit pane that allow you to indent ....
Plih.

Those two arrows do nothing! I click on them and zilch, el zippo, rien de tout!

Grrrrr...
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That is what I meant about it being a PITA to use cut and paste for an entire novel. You *can* entirely re-format your novel from cut and pasted text in Sigil, but it would be an exercise in masochism. Since you already have your novel looking the way that you want it to look in Word( I assume ?), then it would be better to pursue a one of the several options to convert formatted Word DOC output to clean HTML for input into Sigil. That's my $0.02
What's that in sterling? Do you accept cheques?

I will pursue that option, possibly tomorrow when I hope to feel strong enough to wrestle Sigil to the ground and sit on its head.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #27
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Plih.

Those two arrows do nothing! I click on them and zilch, el zippo, rien de tout!

Grrrrr...
You did select the text you wanted to indent, first?

Sigil can be inconsistant.
I can place the cursor before (same line) text and set a Heading style and Sigil turns that paragraph into a heading. (I would expect select was required)
You must select the actual text to apply a style (bold, italic), which is expected.

Setting an insert point and clicking "Sigil chapter break", Breaks AFTER the line end (always break the line, then reset the cursor before "Sigil Chapter breaks".

Even with these foibles, Sigil makes e-pub tweaking tons easier.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #28
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You did select the text you wanted to indent, first?

Sigil can be inconsistant.
I can place the cursor before (same line) text and set a Heading style and Sigil turns that paragraph into a heading. (I would expect select was required)
You must select the actual text to apply a style (bold, italic), which is expected.

Setting an insert point and clicking "Sigil chapter break", Breaks AFTER the line end (always break the line, then reset the cursor before "Sigil Chapter breaks".

Even with these foibles, Sigil makes e-pub tweaking tons easier.
No, I didn't select; but when I did as you suggest it indented the whole section, when what I was after was an indent at the start of each paragraph.

I'm sure you're right that Sigil helps, if I load the correct format and learn its little ways.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #29
st_albert
Fanatic
st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.st_albert calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
I think the easiest thing would be to install openoffice.org on your computer. It's free. It runs on Windows, Mac, or Linux. It reads MS Office .doc files, and with suitable filters, e.g. writer2xhtml and writer2epub, it can output pretty clean .xhtml or a fairly decently formatted epub itself.

For info on the "writer2epub" extension, see this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69636

Also, if you happen to be running Windows, look into Atlantis Word Processor. It is inexpensive, and also can export epubs directly. You may have to convert your .doc files to .rtf format in Word 2000, though. I don't recall whether it can read word .doc directly.

Information on Atlantis can be found in this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48775

Either of these options would have had you producing an epubcheck-compliant epub in less time than you have already spent trying these workarounds.

Some tweaking in Sigil might still be necessary, though.

Albert

Last edited by st_albert; 07-25-2010 at 01:19 PM.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #30
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Thanks Albert - I'll download OpenOffice and give it a go.

Tags
manual, sigil, wysiwyg