|07-24-2010, 10:27 AM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2010
I'm a long-time Mac user; also a grad student working on my dissertation. So I ...
1. Go to the library for research and take a photo of the book page that is relevant; take the photo home and turn the .jpeg file into a .pdf (Usually using Acrobat)
2. Sometimes libraries have a copy machine that will scan book pages and e-mail them to myself.
3. Either photo or scan, the pages have to go through the OCR process--usually using Adobe but have tried Abbyy.
4. I then yellow, mark-up or comment on the document (for future reference), again using Acrobat (although I've tried others).
5. I then archive the documents (there are now a few hundred) in Papers. Papers has the neat feature of letting you search a particular idea across all those documents.
6. But Papers does not let you mark up nor does it let you do any meta data or bibliographic retrieval automatically through the internet. So I also pass the document into Calibre. (I wish that Calibre would recover the Library of Congress code as well.)
7. Sometimes I need to take a document with me so I use Calibre for that. But I really like that Stanza has a desktop and a mobile edition of their software.
8. Sometimes I wish there was a way to put all those documents in the "clouds." So I've played with LogMeIn and Dropbox.
9. I love the iBooks interface but wish they had a desktop version similar to Stanza.
10. And when I finally get to writing, I wish there was a good way to go from one format to another especially among .pdf/.epub/.docx.
So I wish for a software option that would even take care of even three or four of the above mentioned task. Any ideas?
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|list view||Purple Lady||Onyx Boox||0||04-18-2010 04:16 PM|
|Sony wish list||dgillette.rm||Sony Reader||1||04-17-2010 11:57 PM|
|the where is? list...||kindlekitten||Lounge||14||03-06-2010 09:04 PM|
|List help please?||ladmo||Calibre||2||12-10-2009 12:07 AM|
|The file list||yingwu||Amazon Kindle||4||06-24-2009 11:06 PM|