Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #16
mosh
mosh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Step by step

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeNS
Can't reproduce that. Could you please send the source book (pdf, djvu), page data and step-by-step descriptions of your actions? Could you reproduce that more than one time? Thanks.
Please find a sample pdf file attached.

Step 1. Open JAP
Step 2. File->Export->Export Unencrypted BBeB (lrf)...
Step 2. Enter a filename and click save
Step 3. File->Export->Export Unencrypted BBeB (lrf)...
Step 4. Enter a filename and click save <- "Invalid floating point operation"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sample.pdf (369.5 KB, 240 views)
mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
mosh
mosh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn_88
Thanks for a polished tool, SeNS.

Can you give a short description on how to customize the results? With the default settings, I get text which goes sideways (like landscape upside down) and also the font size is too small for my liking.
hn_88 try rotating the page -90 or +90 deg. I find that doing so helps.
mosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #18
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Device: Google Nexus 7
Mosh, thanks! Fixed. You can use setup or direct download link: http://sens.fw.nu/jap/expLRF.dll (replace the old plugin in JAP folder).
SeNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

hey... i've got some feature suggestions (more like polishings)

) allow rotating the selection frames. (instead of having to rotate the page itself)
) allow fixed AR (after all.. the screen is fixed)
) Instead of doing "Frames: 1/2/3", just have an 'add frame' control. So if i want to zoom a pic, it's more intuitive. Also, have 'delete frame' button, so I can delete frame 2 without have to delete 3 & 4.
) Do a separate dialog, like in Acrobat, for when you want to apply the same frames to all even pages or simply all pages. It's kind of weird that you can't crop all pages the same way, also it was surprising/unintuitive at first that all changes would be automatically propagated.
) per-page autocropping
) autocropping that is bounded by what's been cropped manually. this one could be very useful. (in addition to normal autocropping. also, the manual box shouldn't just be deleted)
) more control over resolution. e.g. a high-res pdf output to feed into pdfrasterfarian, or to allow Iliad/etc owners set the right res for their screens.

have you considered open sourcing jap? (and by that i mean letting me play with it :-[)

Last edited by alex_d; 01-10-2007 at 12:10 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 AM   #20
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
hey... i've got some feature suggestions (more like polishings)
Alex, thanks a lot. I always appreciate suggestions and try to follow users wishes ;-)

Quote:
allow rotating the selection frames. (instead of having to rotate the page itself)
The main reason of allow page rotation is a quality of most of scanned DjVu's (I have a lot of semi-pro Russians DjVu OCR-people friends) I don't think a single frame rotation will be useful for em.

Quote:
allow fixed AR (after all.. the screen is fixed)
Try to move frames with Ctrl/Alt keys pressed. I know the lack of documentation is the worst point of JAP:-(

Quote:
Instead of doing "Frames: 1/2/3", just have an 'add frame' control. So if i want to zoom a pic, it's more intuitive. Also, have 'delete frame' button, so I can delete frame 2 without have to delete 3 & 4.
) Do a separate dialog, like in Acrobat, for when you want to apply the same frames to all even pages or simply all pages. It's kind of weird that you can't crop all pages the same way, also it was surprising/unintuitive at first that all changes would be automatically propagated.
Unfortunatelly the frames number settings came not from a plain theory but from practice (Andy, avv from e-book.org is a co-author and main tester & user of JAP. I'm not using JAP at all). Also the some algorithms in JAP should use a concrete numbers of frames instead of NN (my bad).

Quote:
per-page autocropping
It's not so easy. Some documents have a "artistic" template (like a header shifted a few inches left/right). I decide to give a choice to user. But, anyway, you have a button to do autocropping (only for odd & even pages).

Quote:
more control over resolution. e.g. a high-res pdf output to feed into pdfrasterfarian, or to allow Iliad/etc owners set the right res for their screens.
I forgot to announce some hidden features of JAP (already printed at the-ebook.org). I'll add one (only one!) more dialog to configure JAP in the future but I'll prefer simplified interfaces.

Quote:
have you considered open sourcing jap? (and by that i mean letting me play with it :-[)
I have no problem to post sources but for some reasons (I can tell you why - the "heart" of JAP is the open source Graphics32 lib) JAP was written on Borland Delphi. If you interested of source code just le me know at sens at verizon dot net. Also JAP providing a very simple plugins API (C++ sources available too)
Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #21
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

ok, you seem pretty set on leaving the UI as it is, and probably we do have different aims that we're going for. (Certainly I do very little with scanned docs and instead read "proper" pdfs I get from filesharing)

I'll send you that email about the sources, thanks.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:41 PM   #22
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Feedback From Use of JAP

The first time tried to use JAP today it crashed my system with the Blue Screen of Death (BSD) with error message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I had Symantec Internet Security 2007 running plus Firefox and a couple of other small apps. Win XP SP2 with 1GB of memory. Subsequent use has been OK so far.

I obviously have not figured out how to get Exported BBeB output correct. JAP seems to generate output doc with alternative Landscape and Portait pages for me viewed using PC Connect software.
I set FRAMES ="1", and clicked auto adjust and then manually adjusted frame to full page of the pdf that was displayed. I have kept the input and output files if someone wishes to see them. Source doc was "The Zepplins Passengers" A Gutenberg PDF 379 page file. Conversion was fast.

After I learn to use JAP correctly, I think it will be very helpful.

Please tell me how to use JAP so that all portrait PDF input files will export as portrait and all landscape PDFs will export as landscape

I am NOT a Win XP guru only a long term user. I used to program about a thousand years ago; my first language was Fortran II
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #23
SeNS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01
The first time tried to use JAP today it crashed my system with the Blue Screen of Death (BSD) with error message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".
Looks like a symptoms of overheat (video card or CPU). JAP uses a lot of CPU-time and makes your PC work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01
After I learn to use JAP correctly, I think it will be very helpful.
Each frame represents a future whole page on the reading device. Moving/sizing frames with Ctrl/Alt keys gives you fixed AR 4/3 or 3/4 (ideal for most devices). Depending of frame dimensions the output plugins rotate the resulting page. Don't be shy to play with JAP options/menus/mouse clicks; also some popup tips can be helpful.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #24
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Could somebody do me a HUGE favor and convert this for the Reader:

http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/usr/nemo/9.intro.pdf

I've tried several tools so far and never got any good results
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #25
_darius
Enthusiast
_darius began at the beginning.

Converted...

I converted it to:
*.doc and *.html

http://dario.lauper.cc/MobiRead/

i think you can get the best result with the html- file and BookDesigner! - You sure have to do some work manually, but i think its a good start!

Good Luck
_darius
_darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #26
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Thanks but I don't think the reader can read .doc or .html no???
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
spuz
spuz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi, is JAP still available for download? It looks like a very useful tool as I have trouble reading some pdfs on my Sony reader. The links in the first post say that the bandwidth limit for the hosting account has been exceeded.
spuz is offline   Reply With Quote